Sign in to follow this  
A-Jay

*** URGENT DOG FOOD RECALL ***

CAUTION — ONGOING SITUATION
Last Updated December 7, 2018

December 7, 2018 — The FDA is alerting pet owners and veterinary professionals about recalls of several dry dog foods after receiving complaints that dogs eating the food experienced vitamin D toxicity.

Testing found that samples of the affected foods contained as much as 70 times the intended amount of vitamin D.

Very high levels of vitamin D can cause serious health problems in dogs, such as kidney failure or death.

Veterinarians should be aware that vitamin D toxicity may present as hypercalcemia, similar to dogs that have consumed a rodent killer.

At this time, the only pet products that are affected by this recall are foods made for dogs.

This list includes many very common & popular brands and the list is expected to grow as the testing continues. 

List is in this link  ~ https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/dangerous-levels-of-vitamin-d-discovered-in-several-dog-food-brands/?fbclid=IwAR35PGN7f1OuHsNc0afudyOln4oixvlg9UvfzP-2WCmEDmzCXVfsBN8tBWw

Several years ago, we started retaining dog food bag UPC labels (including lot numbers)  until the bag was expended - just for these situations. 

Otherwise it's hard to know if you've purchased tainted / recalled food. 

☠️

A-Jay

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Whew we're in the clear. Thanks for the heads up! 

• Like 1

I’ve noticed my dog has been drinking more water and seems to have lost a little bit of weight the last 2 weeks or so. Her energy level and appetite is the same even though she is eleven now. I checked the list but I didn’t see her brand on there ( Canadae) I just switched her to a brand with less salt a couple of days ago and it didn’t seem to make any difference. I guess I’ll have to take her in soon if things don’t improve .

• Like 1