JFlynn97

Thoughts on the Shimano SLX?

Somewhat interested in picking up a new reel to use on my rod for mainly jigs/Texas rigs (an ALX Zolo Deputy) and stumbled upon the SLX. Anyone used it or have any thoughts on it? I'm especially interested because the black/blue color would match the colors on my rod perfectly. I'd most likely spool it up with 15lb fluoro and like I said before it'd mostly be used for jigs and Texas rigs (both long casting and flipping/pitching). I'm normally a Daiwa kinda guy myself, but I've heard nothing but good things from Shimano so I'm sure it'd work well enough but I'm interested in people's opinions!

If you like the color, go for it. It is pretty small, and comfortable to palm compare to Daiwa Tatula and Tatula CT. The knob and handle is super comfortable to hold, it gets the same big knob as Curado K. It is not as smooth as Daiwa but get pretty good solid feel. The casting distance is pretty good with 3/8 oz and up better than my old CT and Shimano Curado I. The best part is price under 100 bucks very affordable to both beginner and experienced. I don’t mind having a few more.

I prefer the SLX to any Daiwa reel in the price range. The SLX feels great and IMO feels much better than the Diawa Fuego. The SLX is very impressive. Definitely put one in your hands.