Sigfredo Gomez

Help/Advice on how much to sell a rod and reel

Im trying to see one rod and a reel and im not sure if im asking a  fair price. the rod is an Abu Garcia ProMax 1 Piece 7 feet medium heavy fast action model pmax3‑l/701 , and the reel is a pretty unknown brand piscifun torrent 7:1:1 with left retrieve, i was asking 65$ locally, i dont know if thats a good deal or should be lower/higher. Selling it because with 2 doors car is a pain to carry it around so never used the rod. Anyone with experience that can help would be great. thanks.

Generally, at least in that price range, I would much prefer a 1 piece rod.  7' is also a great length so if there is a way to put it in your car even if it takes an extra minute each time I would recommend that. However, I personally have never tried putting a 7' rod in a 2 door car so I don't know the frustration.  Sorry, I realize I didn't really answer your question but just thought I would throw that in there.  Feel free to throw that advice out if you want.

If they're both 'like new', it sounds like a fair asking price.  Some markets, its a little harder to sell LH reels, though, so don't be too surprised if you have to negotiate down a little.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ratherbfishin1 said:

Generally, at least in that price range, I would much prefer a 1 piece rod.  7' is also a great length so if there is a way to put it in your car even if it takes an extra minute each time I would recommend that. However, I personally have never tried putting a 7' rod in a 2 door car so I don't know the frustration.  Sorry, I realize I didn't really answer your question but just thought I would throw that in there.  Feel free to throw that advice out if you want.

any advise help. question why would u prefer a 1 piece rod over a 2 piece. i mean putting it in the car is doable when i put it across from the back seat top towards the trunk, between the 2 front seats and tip rest on the dashboard right corner. thats why i usually get a 2 pieces rod

2 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

If they're both 'like new', it sounds like a fair asking price.  Some markets, its a little harder to sell LH reels, though, so don't be too surprised if you have to negotiate down a little.

rod is brand new never been used, reel is been 2 times no fish yet on it :)

Just now, Sigfredo Gomez said:

any advise help. question why would u prefer a 1 piece rod over a 2 piece. i mean putting it in the car is doable when i put it across from the back seat top towards the trunk, between the 2 front seats and tip rest on the dashboard right corner. thats why i usually get a 2 pieces rod

I don't like when the two parts aren't lined up, also (it might be a mental thing) but I feel that it can distort the action of the rod. For example on a moderate rod there would be a section that doesn't really "match" if you know what I mean.  Worst case scenario the top will even fly off if you do enough casts.  I realize that these might not be reasons good enough to go through the extra struggle but I was just saying I definitely prefer 1 piece.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ratherbfishin1 said:

I don't like when the two parts aren't lined up, also (it might be a mental thing) but I feel that it can distort the action of the rod. For example on a moderate rod there would be a section that doesn't really "match" if you know what I mean.  Worst case scenario the top will even fly off if you do enough casts.  I realize that these might not be reasons good enough to go through the extra struggle but I was just saying I definitely prefer 1 piece.  

make total sense. thats why i got it originally for thinking it wouldn't be a struggle

Hi Sig,

You can try to sell it for whatever price you want. A lot depends on how fast you want to sell and then finding someone willing to pay that. Not sure what the retail is on the rod and reel combined. If you want it to move/sell you need to discount it at least a minimum of 20-30% off of retail. There is a much smaller pool of left handed baitcast users then righties. Which makes it even harder to find a buyer. 

There is a bunch of sales going on now. So if you really want it to move you might have to drop the price even more.

Can you figure out a way to easily put it into your car? By maybe rolling the window down and feed it in reel first and set the butt of the rod on the top of the back seat?

Good luck,

FM

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fishingmickey said:

Hi Sig,

You can try to sell it for whatever price you want. A lot depends on how fast you want to sell and then finding someone willing to pay that. Not sure what the retail is on the rod and reel combined. If you want it to move/sell you need to discount it at least a minimum of 20-30% off of retail. There is a much smaller pool of left handed baitcast users then righties. Which makes it even harder to find a buyer. 

There is a bunch of sales going on now. So if you really want it to move you might have to drop the price even more.

Can you figure out a way to easily put it into your car? By maybe rolling the window down and feed it in reel first and set the butt of the rod on the top of the back seat?

Good luck,

FM

hey there. i will probably start doing that if i dont sell it. it is a nice rod and maybe works better than the 2 piece rod i currently have which is a cheap chinese brand i keep on the car at all times. Yeah o noticed most people lefty or righty likes right reels but somehow i can reel better with my left been a righty.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:36 PM, ratherbfishin1 said:

Worst case scenario the top will even fly off if you do enough casts.  I realize that these might not be reasons good enough to go through the extra struggle but I was just saying I definitely prefer 1 piece.  

That will never happen. (Wink)

Yes, it can happen but it is ultra rare. Matter of fact, it only happened to me twice. 

I was a green horn angler. I didn’t combine the two pieces together well enough (like I said, absolute, know-nothing beginner). I went through the casting motion without the rod being strung yet, and the tip flew off like a missile launched from an Atlatl. I threw it so hard that when the tip stuck into the grass/ground, there was enough energy to make it snap. First cast, first broken rod. 

100% my fault. When combined, two piece rods shouldn’t come apart. To ensure that they don’t separate, I check the connection periodically, say after every 30 casts or so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sigfredo Gomez said:

hey there. i will probably start doing that if i dont sell it. it is a nice rod and maybe works better than the 2 piece rod i currently have which is a cheap chinese brand i keep on the car at all times. Yeah o noticed most people lefty or righty likes right reels but somehow i can reel better with my left been a righty.

And I am a lefty that reels with a righty. I like not having to switch hands on the cast.

FM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishingmickey said:

And I am a lefty that reels with a righty. I like not having to switch hands on the cast.

FM

thats exactly why my 3 baitcaster reels are left so i dont have to switch hands, seems to me more natural to fight the fish with my dominant hand.