ChrisD46

Dobyns Sierra 735C for Frog , Flip & Punch ?

For those that have the Dobyns Sierra 735C , would you find it better at Froging than Fliping or Pitching - or fairly equal at all three ?

I have the Sierra 734C and love the variety of applications it handles and was hopeful the Sierra 735C would have somewhat similar variety of applications (frog , flip , punch) to make this rod more than just a frog rod - maybe solid body  top water toads , buzzbaits , heavier swim jigs near cover , etc. as well .

Thanks in advance for sharing what types of bass applications / conditions you use your Dobyns Sierra 735C for ?

*Perhaps a better way to phrase the question : What difference would I see in action , taper , speed , etc. in the blanks between a Fury 735c and a Sierra 735c ?

TW is clearing out the Dobyns Sierra line of rods at the same price as Fury.

The difference is upgraded guides and rod blank, action and power are similar.

Tom

I'll Try to give some help. !st. off I only full cork handles & don't have any of the fury line. I do Have several of the Sierra line which are the 733 & 734's. & agree with you on your assessment of them.  I do have the DC 735 C FH & have used it for Frogs & toads, Texas rigs, Carolina rigs, 5" swimbaits, spinnerbaits & buzzbaits, & jigs. In heavy cover this rod works well. Between the Sierra & Champion XP series I have Several 734 & I use them mostly for bottom fishing & spinnerbaits. I think for what you are looking for it to do is not a problem & you will really enjoy it. T/W has them on sale now. 

The 735 is an excellent pitching, frog, and also jig and T-rig rod. I also dig it with Whopper Ploppers.

I have mine set up with 17lb McCoy line and it's a tough setup. I use braid on it when frogging.

For less thick stuff I love the 734 for the same rigs with 15lb McCoy line.

It looks like I could use my SA734c for frogging in open water - but for lily pads and over grass or frogging on tops of mats  , the 735c would be best . *It appears there are fans of the 766c over  the 735c for frogging in or over cover - yet I am worried about versatility of the 766c vs. the 735c - your thoughts and experiences between the two ? ... My preferred frogs are the : Booyah Poppin' Pad Crasher and the Booyah Pad Crasher full size frogs.

3 hours ago, ChrisD46 said:

It looks like I could use my SA734c for frogging in open water - but for lily pads and over grass or frogging on tops of mats  , the 735c would be best . *It appears there are fans of the 766c over  the 735c for frogging in or over cover - yet I am worried about versatility of the 766c vs. the 735c - your thoughts and experiences between the two ? ... My preferred frogs are the : Booyah Poppin' Pad Crasher and the Booyah Pad Crasher full size frogs.

I completely agree with your train of thought. Although I dont have the sierra 735 I have some fury 735's and I use one for frogging and pitching. But I could easily take off the braid and put fluoro or mono on the reel and use it for 3/4 ounce spinnerbait and chatterbaits, big topwaters, Carolina rigs, or other bottom contact lures. Where as if I had a 766 I feel like I could only use it for 1/2 ounce or bigger frogs, punching, and super heavy pitching/flipping. 

On Facebook, Dobyns is doing a 12 days of Christmas giveaway.  I won 50% off certain rods in the sierra line.  Can choose up to 4 rods at 50% off but I am only getting 1.  The one I chose is the SA735C and plan on using it mainly as a frogging rod.  Will also use it for my whopper plopper and some swimbaits I have.  This will be my first from the sierra line.  My other 3 bass rods are from Champion and Champion Xtreme line (DC 683SF, DC 705CB, & DX 744C F/H).

1 hour ago, KlubbaT said:

On Facebook, Dobyns is doing a 12 days of Christmas giveaway.  I won 50% off certain rods in the sierra line.  Can choose up to 4 rods at 50% off but I am only getting 1.  The one I chose is the SA735C and plan on using it mainly as a frogging rod.  Will also use it for my whopper plopper and some swimbaits I have.  This will be my first from the sierra line.  My other 3 bass rods are from Champion and Champion Xtreme line (DC 683SF, DC 705CB, & DX 744C F/H).

You'd be crazy not to get all four at that price.

6 minutes ago, Big-Bass said:

You'd be crazy not to get all four at that price.

Funds are pretty tight right now with it being the holiday season.  I also usually stick with their Champion Line but figured the Sierra would be fine for frogging.