Jump to content
starkeer

Spring Fishing Trip

Recommended Posts

I recently moved to Salt Lake City from Minnesota and have (not surprisingly) found the access to quality lakes tough to deal with. I am thinking about taking a spring pre-spawn trip somewhere within driving distance. I would be taking my kayak so in an ideal world I wouldn't be fishing huge bodies of water. I would not want to be driving more than 12 hours or so. In your opinion's what would be some of my best options. I was leaning towards the NorCal area but I am open to anything. I was going to spend 4-6 days fishing depending on how much time I can get off work. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NorCal is easy...2 days on Clearlake, a day on Berryessa, and 2 days on the Delta

 

All big water areas that can be easily fished from a kayak, it’s driven from where you are launching from 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

utah has plenty of bass fishing. utah lake, strawberry reservoir, flaming gorge, powell, quail creek, sand hollow and i just found this http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/utahfish/largemouthbass.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zeth said:

utah has plenty of bass fishing. utah lake, strawberry reservoir, flaming gorge, powell, quail creek, sand hollow and i just found this http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/utahfish/largemouthbass.php

It definitely does and I am familiar with all those lakes and reservoirs, I am just thinking about getting the the best possible fishing within a 12 hour drive or so. Kind of a fun destination spring trip for me. I fished sand hollow and quail creek 2 weeks ago and the fishing was pretty slow. 

4 hours ago, camman said:

NorCal is easy...2 days on Clearlake, a day on Berryessa, and 2 days on the Delta

 

All big water areas that can be easily fished from a kayak, it’s driven from where you are launching from 

Thanks for confirming my original thoughts, I'll do more research into potential launch points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lake  Powell is your best choice in Utah, big windy lake however for a kayak. You drive from Salt Lake City to Clear Lake CA via hwy 80 in less then 12 hours. Berryessa can be windy also. The Delta is so massive, around hwy 12 Rio Vista there are decent sloughs that are good for a kayak.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pic would be Lake Powell....the upper end.  So beautiful.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 6:46 PM, starkeer said:

I recently moved to Salt Lake City from Minnesota and have (not surprisingly) found the access to quality lakes tough to deal with. I am thinking about taking a spring pre-spawn trip somewhere within driving distance. I would be taking my kayak so in an ideal world I wouldn't be fishing huge bodies of water. I would not want to be driving more than 12 hours or so. In your opinion's what would be some of my best options. I was leaning towards the NorCal area but I am open to anything. I was going to spend 4-6 days fishing depending on how much time I can get off work. Thanks!

What Camman said is a perfect trip. I will add the Pacific for Rock Cod; Half Moon Bay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×