Jump to content
ArizonaFishing

Spinning rod to replace Abu ike iconelli?

Recommended Posts

So bought an Abu Garcia Ike Iconelli 7'2" spinning rod. After about a year and only 100 bass the tip splintered out on me today. I need suggestions for a replacement. 

 

I fish only spinning while bass fishing. And trust me I've heard it all about baitcasters. But my OCD wont let my brain use one. It just wont. 

 

I figured spending a bit more for a good rod would last me a long time. But that's not the case. I fish 2-3 days a week 95% for bass. I walk to my spots at PIR near Phoenix if anyone knows the area and always bring 1 rod onl. I power fish. Lots of cranks, topwater, texas rig and jigs of all types etc... I rarely finesse fish. Since I've gotten a pretty good pattern down and dont need. question is, what's a good rod? No more than 200... no more... I use braid 99% of the time and usually only tie leaders if needed. I like something 7' or more. 80% or + back bone. Something that's just super versatile. Thanks for the input! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might want to check out the Dobyns Sierra line on TackleWarehouse. They’re ona great sale right now (hint buy a gift card 10% off first, then use it to buy anything), and have a big selection of power/action in spinning rods. They actually have a Med Heavy and Heavy power available in 7’. 

 

Ive never used a Sierra, in fact have only ever had one Dobyns. But everyone seems to give them good marks for service, and warranty. Reviews on the Sierra are good and seem to fit the bill for your needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$200 will give you many choices.  Sounds like you want a MH or one of the Mediums that will handle up to about 3/4-1 oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M - MH and I throw anything from 1/4 to 1oz honestly if I can stay under 150 I'd be happy. Although my girl let's me do pretty much whatever, spending a couple hundred on a rod takes a little convincing. And usually ends with me performing explicit favors for her. I'm also kind of hesitant to using an online site for purchasing one. But the local BP is just way too expensive. Also my local independent shop is 50% more than bass pro. Anyone have luck with warranty? I'm assuming because it's the tip that abu will deny a claim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arizona, you have asked a really great question that will get the gang stirred up.

 

May I add my two cents? By the numbers:

1. Check out the line test parameters on any rod you wish to consider to make sure you can use your favorite braid line test. Remember to add the low and high test numbers together and divide by 2 to obtain the best performance line test for that rod.

 

2.  I use a medium heavy with fast tip for spinnerbait rods and that power and tip speed work great for all applications. But since I use this setup for both power and finesse and you do power only, I would suggest you consider a heavy spinning rod, like the ones designed for frogs or catfish.

 

3.  Check out the bait weight, too. Be sure it will handle the baits you like to throw.

 

4.  $200 opens the door to many choices. Way too many. You can drive yourself off the deep end trying to decide. What is great about your post is that the end of Christmas and January sales are right around the corner. So you can nail a $300 to $500 rod for $200. Just be sure you have confidence in the rod and you can't go wrong.

 

5.  To select your rod, especially ones on sale, you have to do your homework. This means reading about all of the rods out there from American Legacy Fishing and G. Loomis to Tackle Warehouse's offerings and all in-between that are in your price range. You also know to wait for future sales after Christmas and into January.

 

6.  Take your favorite spinning reel into a tackle shop and put it on a few rods to see how it feels in your hand. You can check out the rod's length to make sure it is right for you and the techniques you use. You can also note how the reel fits the rod's reel seat in addition to its balance and weight. This will give you an idea of how the rod will feel when you fish with it.

 

7.  As you know, there are "rod specific" rods in the marketplace. This means that there are rods designed for cranking, jigs, large worms, big spinnerbaits, deep water, heavy weights and line test, flipping and pitching, drop shots, shaky heads, etc. You have to decide if a cranking spinnerbait rod, like a David Fritts Speed Stick, would be what you are seeking or a higher end rod like a G. Loomis spinning rod or a Kistler Helium 7-foot heavy rod. And don't forget your Ugly Sticks. They can do a great job with all presentations and you can get a few for $200.

 

8.  Remember, the Bait Monkey will be watching you as will we. The Bait Monkey will guide you to purchase the right high-end spinning rod. We will be watching to see what you finally decide to purchase.

 

All this to try to outsmart a green fish with a small brain. Isn't this fun? I envy your efforts and your new rod. I have too many rods and reels and to sneak another one into my house will not work as I have no more space to store it properly.

 

As for your warranty query, give Abu a call and ask them. You may be surprised at their answer. Or, if you can find a local guy who repairs rods he may be able to put your broken rod back together at a fair price.

 

So go out and have some fun for us while shopping and keep us posted on what you are considering and when they take you to the funny farm.  :)  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ArizonaFishing said:

And usually ends with me performing explicit favors for her.

😳

 

TMI, bro.......😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 10:33 PM, ArizonaFishing said:

So bought an Abu Garcia Ike Iconelli 7'2" spinning rod. After about a year and only 100 bass the tip splintered out on me today. I need suggestions for a replacement. 

 

I fish only spinning while bass fishing. And trust me I've heard it all about baitcasters. But my OCD wont let my brain use one. It just wont. 

 

I figured spending a bit more for a good rod would last me a long time. But that's not the case. I fish 2-3 days a week 95% for bass. I walk to my spots at PIR near Phoenix if anyone knows the area and always bring 1 rod onl. I power fish. Lots of cranks, topwater, texas rig and jigs of all types etc... I rarely finesse fish. Since I've gotten a pretty good pattern down and dont need. question is, what's a good rod? No more than 200... no more... I use braid 99% of the time and usually only tie leaders if needed. I like something 7' or more. 80% or + back bone. Something that's just super versatile. Thanks for the input! 

 

I would take @Sam's advice and contact Abu, see if they are willing to replace or give a discount on a replacement.

 

Also if you'd like another Ike spinning rod, FFO-Tackle.com (The outlet store for Pure fishing brands, Abu, Fenwick, Berkely etc.) has a few models of the previous generation available for $65:

http://www.ffo-tackle.com/ffo-rods-spinning/abu-garcia-ike-signature-spinning-rod/FFOM1373582N.html#specifications

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just some food for thought - I own that same model that you just broke and I'm pretty sure those models carry a 3 year warranty with Abu. Perhaps you should contact them about getting a replacement?

 

(800) 228-4272

http://www.abugarcia.com/AbuGarcia-warranty.html

 

They might be closed for the holidays this week, but I'd give them a ring next week.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 8:02 AM, fishballer06 said:

Just some food for thought - I own that same model that you just broke and I'm pretty sure those models carry a 3 year warranty with Abu. Perhaps you should contact them about getting a replacement?

 

(800) 228-4272

http://www.abugarcia.com/AbuGarcia-warranty.html

 

They might be closed for the holidays this week, but I'd give them a ring next week.

I actually sent in a request today. I really hope it goes through. This is by far the best rod I've owned. We all know the feeling of knowing how a specific one feels when we fish. I really dont want to get used to fishing with something new. I'll post when I hear from them. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×