Jump to content
Brendan Roll

Are Lews Speed Sticks Equal to the Talk?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any opinions about Lews Speed Sticks in general or the Lew's Tournament Performance TP-1 Speed Stick? I am interested to hear about your opinions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little stouter than their rating, and tip heavy imo.  Love the handles though.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only used one tp-1 and it was a heavy model, can’t remember the exact one.  It felt tip heavy and lacked sensitivity.

 

  I had 4-5 of the custom speed sticks and loved everything about them except the reel seat.    Really nice rod for the money and they do run a little bit heavier than the rating.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jbrew73 said:

I have only used one tp-1 and it was a heavy model, can’t remember the exact one.  It felt tip heavy and lacked sensitivity.

 

  I had 4-5 of the custom speed sticks and loved everything about them except the reel seat.    Really nice rod for the money and they do run a little bit heavier than the rating.

What was wrong with the reel seat? Also, I am thinking about buying a Medium 7' rod. Should I get a Medium Light instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 6'10 medium/fast Tp1 soft plastics/topwater rod that I like for using with topwater. It might be a tad heavier than rated, and I would prefer more of a moderate action, but it does perfectly fine when using more of a side-sweep kind of set as opposed to an uplifting frog set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brendan Roll said:

What was wrong with the reel seat? Also, I am thinking about buying a Medium 7' rod. Should I get a Medium Light instead?

They use a reel seat similar to the fuji acs  and they just don’t fit my hand.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 7' mh tp-1 is a super versatile rod. But like others have mentioned they do seem to run a bit heavier than stated. It is one rod I always have with me wether I'm on the bank or on the boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have and used the following Lew's Speed Stick rods:

 

Mach MH

Mach 1 (I have 2 casting versions of these) MH

Mach Crush (Both spinning and casting) M and MH

Carbon Fire (DSG exclusive) ML

 

Decent rods all around. The Mach 1's have seen some heavy use in the 2018 season. They held up to everything I threw at them. That includes casting in some tight spots where they came in contact with some branches. Also some savage hook sets on the bottom.

 

My only complaints would be the graphite reel seats Lew's uses. They tend to flex and become loose after awhile. I have to tighten them up periodically during a session.

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NYWayfarer said:

I have and used the following Lew's Speed Stick rods:

 

Mach MH

Mach 1 (I have 2 casting versions of these) MH

Mach Crush (Both spinning and casting) M and MH

Carbon Fire (DSG exclusive) ML

 

Decent rods all around. The Mach 1's have seen some heavy use in the 2018 season. They held up to everything I threw at them. That includes casting in some tight spots where they came in contact with some branches. Also some savage hook sets on the bottom.

 

My only complaints would be the graphite reel seats Lew's uses. They tend to flex and become loose after awhile. I have to tighten them up periodically during a session.

 

 

 

 

Do you personally have a favorite rod or rod series?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Brendan Roll said:

Do you personally have a favorite rod or rod series?

Out of the Lew's I have used I really like the Mach Crush series. They have the American Tackle Airwave system guide. I like how they cast and feel. They are part of the Crush combo and unfortunately I have not seen them on sale individually.

 

I use the Mach 1 rods the most last season. a workhorse of a rod. Got mine on sale for $35 at DSG. If I knew how much I was going to like it I would have bought a few more at that price. The second one I got was when the combo went on sale for $80   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m interested in the new tp1 black.  Love the handles 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Grantman83 said:

I’m interested in the new tp1 black.  Love the handles 

There is no noticeable difference between the two (From looking at the specs) besides different grips, and they claim they added a VTR system (Vibration Transfer Ring) which they say adds more sensitivity to the rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While many don't like a "tip heavy" rod I prefer a slightly tip heavy rod.

 

I fish lots of heavy cover & deep water so a rod being a little stouter is an advantage.

 

If I were to pick one that fits my style of fishing the Custom Speed Stick Lite HM85 would be it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×