fishraptor

Outboard selection 17' Old Town Sq. back

I just purchased a mint 17' Old Town Discovery Sport canoe with a square back.   It's the Titanic when it comes to canoes, hold 1000 pounds and weights in close to 120# so not lugging this too far. Anyway I have been canvasing the net as to the best outboard to put on the back of this. What I am looking for is probably a 4 or 5hp Motor. 

1) reliability 

2) warranty

3) functionality

4) QUIETNESS  (the quieter the better)

It will be used strictly for fishing.   Looking at the Merc's, Honda's and Yami's.   (we don't really have any Suzuki dealers close so can't include them in the mix)

So far I am leaning towards the Yami but some Merc dealers advise Merc is the way to go. One dealer gave me a great price on a 4hp Yami but it was a 2016 leftover and 

I'm not sure if it's "age" should preclude me from purchasing it.  I would imagine all motors have upgrades, retrofits and so on so not sure if the new 2018/19 model would be

better ??

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these three, any info would be appreciated.  

I'd be getting an electric trolling motor, not gas.

Hi J Francho, 

I was considering your idea  but I may end of going quit a distance (few miles) and an electric would most likely die.  Now having both would be a tremendous asset.  Wonder what model electric would be best for this large heavy Canoe. (thrust)

I don't recall ever running my TM batteries all the down in a long day of fishing. You can always run two batteries in parallel for twice the life. 

7 hours ago, fishraptor said:

I just purchased a mint 17' Old Town Discovery Sport canoe with a square back.   It's the Titanic when it comes to canoes, hold 1000 pounds and weights in close to 120# so not lugging this too far. Anyway I have been canvasing the net as to the best outboard to put on the back of this. What I am looking for is probably a 4 or 5hp Motor. 

1) reliability 

2) warranty

3) functionality

4) QUIETNESS  (the quieter the better)

It will be used strictly for fishing.   Looking at the Merc's, Honda's and Yami's.   (we don't really have any Suzuki dealers close so can't include them in the mix)

So far I am leaning towards the Yami but some Merc dealers advise Merc is the way to go. One dealer gave me a great price on a 4hp Yami but it was a 2016 leftover and 

I'm not sure if it's "age" should preclude me from purchasing it.  I would imagine all motors have upgrades, retrofits and so on so not sure if the new 2018/19 model would be

better ??

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these three, any info would be appreciated.  

I fish from an Old Town Predator square back; admittedly less the past two seasons.

It was new in 2007 - think it's been out of production for a while. This one's still going strong.  

I Do Not use an Outboard but instead go with a 55lb thrust Minn Kota TM and in places that do not allow that - it's Paddle Power. 

I use 2 mod 31 batteries - one up forward & one at the stern.  Have it rigged so I can run the TM of either.  

This rig has and continues to serve me well.

post-13860-0-58758500-1353867504_thumb.jpg  post-13860-0-38458200-1436493195_thumb.jpgpost-13860-0-18461600-1441672568_thumb.jpgpost-13860-0-41867800-1447211569_thumb.jpglarge.39db1e4af53202de61309ccf00ff3a38.jpg.1e30e1b42ea3bb189e5163904257bd02.jpg

:smiley:

A-Jay