EWREX

ABA Tournaments

Anyone here have experience fishing the ABA tournaments (preferably as a co-angler)? I'm looking to fish ABA tournaments on my off weeks from regular club tournaments this upcoming year. If you have fished them, what are your thoughts? Worth the $75 entree fee? Let me know!

I've fished several ABA tournies as a co-angler in the past.  I think for them to be "worth it" you have to have particular expectations going in, winning not being one of them.  Because of the format (no separate co-angler division) it's quite difficult to win events because you're competing directly against your boater along with everyone else.  That being said, I think they're a great stepping stone if you're just getting into competitive bass fishing due to their relatively low cost.  You can get the feel of general tournament structure and learn from more experienced anglers.  You can also just use them to get off the bank if you don't own your own boat since they are MUCH cheaper than a guided trip.  Most of my experiences with the ABA (as a co-angler) have been neutral to pretty positive.  I definitely don't have any regrets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichF said:

I've fished several ABA tournies as a co-angler in the past.  I think for them to be "worth it" you have to have particular expectations going in, winning not being one of them.  Because of the format (no separate co-angler division) it's quite difficult to win events because you're competing directly against your boater along with everyone else.  That being said, I think they're a great stepping stone if you're just getting into competitive bass fishing due to their relatively low cost.  You can get the feel of general tournament structure and learn from more experienced anglers.  You can also just use them to get off the bank if you don't own your own boat since they are MUCH cheaper than a guided trip.  Most of my experiences with the ABA (as a co-angler) have been neutral to pretty positive.  I definitely don't have any regrets.

I already fish BASS Nation tournaments with my local club, so I understand the challenge of fishing successfully against your boater. No matter what the situation, the front deck usually has the advantage. I particularly want to fish them to compete, and also gain even more tournament experience aside from my local BASS Nation club. Since they are open event's, I don't want to get back-boated by some entitled ****** and waste my day/money

The ABA has pretty explicit rules regarding splitting the day up between boater and nonboater, which is good.  I've only had a handful of rough experiences as a non. If youre just looking for extra tournies, the ABA is a solid choice.

• Thanks 1

I fished ABA for a few years as a co-angler and I was never back boated at the local division level tournaments; but at the National Championship it was a different story....but much of this is dependent on what bodies of water the tournaments will be on and luck of the boater draw.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, J.Vincent said:

I fished ABA for a few years as a co-angler and I was never back boated at the local division level tournaments; but at the National Championship it was a different story....but much of this is dependent on what bodies of water the tournaments will be on and luck of the boater draw.

Yeah I figured the local level will probably be fine. I’m not going to do all of the local division tourneys, probably just my off weeks from my regular club. thanks for the insight 

• Like 1