pauldconyers

Hooks on blade baits

The upcoming BPS sale shows they are going to greatly reduce the price on their Bass Pro Shops XPS Lazer Blade baits so I am going to give them a try. Searched the forums here and sounded like people had a lot of different opinions about now only what hook types to use but also how many to use. Sound like the traditional 2 treble hook set up gives people fits between either getting hooked on stuff on the bottom of getting the line wrapped in them while pulling them up and dropping them back down. Should I start with the hooks as they come out of the box and wait to see if I have a problem? Or are there changes your guys experiences would tell me to implement from the start?

IMG_0285_zpsc0231460.jpg

d5337.jpg

• Like 1

You know the areas you'll be fishing best, and what setup might be optimal under those conditions, but for me, it's split rings and matching #6 Gammi round bends in most cases (traditional 1/4 - 5/8 oz size baits).

• Like 1

Thats 2 of us for replacing to treble hooks.  I go with size 4 short shank Mustad triple grips.

4 minutes ago, Lance R said:

When is the BPS sale?

2/15. But these baits are already marked down to $2.97 so I bought 3 tonight.

I also switch to split rings and round bends or EWG trebles. I like a lighter wire hook because you're going to snag with them if you're fishing them right. The lighter hook lets you at least recover them occasionally and since it's a cold water bait you can back the drag off a bit and play a big fish out without worrying about bending the hooks on a big fish. 

29 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I also switch to split rings and round bends or EWG trebles. I like a lighter wire hook because you're going to snag with them if you're fishing them right. The lighter hook lets you at least recover them occasionally and since it's a cold water bait you can back the drag off a bit and play a big fish out without worrying about bending the hooks on a big fish. 

You fish these off bait casting gear or spinning? And why to whichever answer you give?

40 minutes ago, pauldconyers said:

You fish these off bait casting gear or spinning? And why to whichever answer you give?

I've used both but I prefer baitcasting, mainly because it seems like I have better success and landing ratio with 15-17lb mono or copolymer which obviously handles better on casting gear. 

I posted that second picture in your post above; and have been experimenting with hooks and blades a lot. I sincerely believe that there is no need to use treble hooks on any bait. Yeah, I know, I'm going to get flack for that statement. But in every case where I've substituted trebles with inline singles, I've had just as good a hookup/landing rate as ever. Plus you won't get hooked up on the bottom as often. I also crimp down the barbs. No need unless you're a tournament angler and "need" to land every fish you hook up with. JMO. :)

I've been kicking this around too. In my waters I do need some weedlessness (that's quite a word!). So, I've been replacing some, and on other cranks too, with doubles and singles. No idea yet as to how they'll actually pan out. Crestliner's experiences are encouraging.