wasabi_VA

Need a mono line capacity converter

I’m spooling up a few reels with 10 lb. mono and wondering if the filler spool I’m using has enough line to do them all. I have the line capacity of my reels, but they have ratings for thicker mono like 12-lb. Isn’t there a calculator that can quickly convert that? 

I am so tired of thick and thin discribing round diameter. Thickness is a measurement of flat materials, diameter used used for round materials like line!

Tom 

• Like 1

For "round" lines as Tom describes above, just take the radius (line is usually given as a diameter . . . so divide it by 2) of the larger line, then divide it by the radius of the smaller line you are going to replace it with.

So, if we have .08" spooled on now, want to drop to .07", do this:

(.08 * .08) / (.07 * .07) = 1.3061

So for every foot or yard or meter of line you have on with the larger line, say 100 yds., multiply by 1.3061. You will need 130.61 yds. to fill your spool to the same level.

Or, you can go the other way and take the reciprocal of 1.3061 = 1 / 1.3061 = .7656 and work up in line size by spooling on less length.

Say, I did an Excel spreadsheet that showed the variance in line pick up from a casted distance, say like 50 yards when the circumference of the line spool is reduced since so much line is out . . . to how much line is picked up as the lure approaches the tip of the rod. You all know it speeds up a bit as you take in more line per rotation of the reel.

Brad