Zimmer Man

Upstate SC species identification help

Saw this fish waking from shore at the dam into deeper water so I threw my jerkbait last where the wake ended. Caught this gal. She had eggs coming out of her underbelly. Anyway, I have been told white bass, some subspecies of shad, aquarium fish, and white perch. Any input is greatly appreciated. image.thumb.jpeg.3037c4bbb36877b159818ab85eba51c5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Zimmer Man said:

Saw this fish waking from shore at the dam into deeper water so I threw my jerkbait last where the wake ended. Caught this gal. She had eggs coming out of her underbelly. Anyway, I have been told white bass, some subspecies of shad, aquarium fish, and white perch. Any input is greatly appreciated. image.thumb.jpeg.3037c4bbb36877b159818ab85eba51c5.jpeg

The fish above is a white perch which is in the same family as striped bass, white bass, and yellow bass. This white perch is a true bass unlike black bass which are in the sunfish family.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I thought it was a white perch just wasn’t 100% positive. The thing is lol, well.... look. The state record is 1-15. I would like to know your thoughts.

image.thumb.jpeg.507b87cb87d5a8489854c2a84819cc6e.jpeg

I had to crop the original photo to make the file size compatible. 

On 2/21/2019 at 7:05 PM, Zimmer Man said:

I would like to know your thoughts.

It's a big white perch.  That record seems attainable.  There's a couple here in NY that are like that.  People that catch these species often don't record record catches because either they don't realize the records, or don't care.  I remember way back catching an 11 lb. bowfin.  I didn't realize the record was only 8 lbs.  That record has been broken twice since and stands at 12-14. 

On 2/21/2019 at 7:05 PM, Zimmer Man said:

I had to crop the original photo to make the file size compatible.

You can always use this site, and paste the direct link here to post a pic.

https://postimages.org/