Ksam1234

Sportspal canoes anyone?

I have been fishing out of An old town saranac for few years and looking to upgrade a bit. I was looking st the sportspal 15 ft canoe but haven’t found many reviews. Anyone have one and what do you think? I want to be able to stand on it and have plenty of room for tackle etc. 

I have the Meyers Sportspal S-15 which has a square stern. I bought it from the factory and had them add a third seat "mid-ships area" and I find that to be the optimal point to fish from solo. If I go out tandem with a partner, I give them the bow seat, and I take the back seat.

For a paddle, I use a Bending Branches 280 cm length double blade. It works great for getting the S-15 up to top speed.

One other trick is to bring along a simple folding lawn chair, aluminum and nylon webbing, not one with 4 pointy legs but with "blade" legs. These chairs are the ones that fold up flat. I position mine over the center seat wedged between that and the thwart bar. To say this seat is comfortable compared to any of my kayaks is an understatement. If you spend any time, long days on the water, you will appreciate having a seat with a back, sitting a bit higher making getting up and down rather easy. If you need a lower profile to cover water paddling, simply stand up fold up the chair and put it behind you.

Stability? It is far better than any kayak I know of excepting the new catamaran styles. But, compared to a Big Rig or a Hobie PA 14, it is far beyond that level of stability. I was on a very windy lake on a very windy day and was fishing with a kayaker. I told him I was going to head over to an island, did so using my attached trolling motor and standing as I crossed the lake. Big wind and chop and I felt totally confident. From my current boathouse where my canoe stays all the time now, I often paddle it while standing about a mile to the boat launch area, then back. I sit down to tie on things, maybe take a break. And, last year, I fished Lake Naconiche in east Texas and both me (250+ lbs.) and my nephew, Lucas, (160 lbs.) stood and fished at the same time. Not a wiggle.

In this regard, the standability issue, it is much more so than a SUP, a stand-up paddle board.

I'd go square stern (S-13 or S-15) over pointed (S-14 or S-16) in the event you ever want to power up and put a small outboard motor on your canoe at times. If I were to do so, I'd go as small as possible, so a 2 or 2.5 HP, even though the S-15 is rated for up to 5.

Paddle, trolling motor, small outboard, "floats in wet grass" as they say, Very heavy loading (I have had 550 lbs. in mine - - - two big men), well constructed and should last a lifetime.

Some pics. Note the chair in the one, my paddle in the other. I can paddle right through heavy vegetation where most kayaks sort of bog down.

Brad

IMG_2841.jpg

Canoe 2.JPG

Tandem with Louise sitting up front and snapping a selfie with me in the background.  Another with me seated, sitting high and comfortable. I can drop and anchor and for some presentations, say drop shotting and other finesses presentations, just sit and really fish slow. 

Brad

113018 small bass.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

• Like 1

Well thank you! @Brad Reid that was very in depth ! It sounds like that is the perfect canoe for me. I was looking for something a little more stable and something I could put a trolling motor on.  It seems there is plenty of space for tackle and everything else to. 

On 2/23/2019 at 8:02 AM, Ksam1234 said:

Well thank you! @Brad Reid that was very in depth ! It sounds like that is the perfect canoe for me. I was looking for something a little more stable and something I could put a trolling motor on.  It seems there is plenty of space for tackle and everything else to. 

K-sam, Gosh, you can take out more than you will ever want to pack. I go out with as little as one rod when I am just out for a few hours. And, I carry that folding chair often. They weigh next to nothing but for longer days on the water, most people find it more comfortable to have a seat with a back support.  Just a big styrofoam ice chest is great for carrying out food, water, supplies. A good anchoring system always helps with canoes if you fish in wind or current.  Brad

• Thanks 1