Mason Bohland

Shimano Core vs Shimano Chronarch Ci4

I have found a used Shimano Core 50mg7 for the same price as a brand new Chronarch Ci4.. could I get an input on what I should choose and why? Thanks guys!!

I have owned both. In my opinion, it depends on what you prefer out of a handle. I like the Chronarch handle better but I prefer the body of the Core. If I had to choose over new or used, and same price, I would go with the Chronarch.

You shoudnt pay full price for an outdated CI4. $270 for a Core is a bit much to me for its performance compared to the newer curado offerings 70, K, DC or newer Chronarch MGL. The Cores big advantage is its lightweight if you have a very lightweight rod to pair it with that would make a great combo other than that Id go with newer shimanos but dont pay msrp for any of them.

I’m also trading, but the guy I’m trading reels with said trade value for the two reels would be equal, just don’t know how good the cores are

Core 50 spool is rated at 10/105 line capacity.

A lot of people feel the VBS of the Core is their favorite system cause it is "set and forget" set 2 brakes on and fish all day everyday no worries. The CI4 will have  more adjustment and care needed with oiling the brake pipe occasionally. 

The CI4 is physically a larger reel the Core small and fits in palm much better.

My response comes from currently owning both. Maybe if I didnt own them I would be more interested in the Core50 it has an allure that "IT" factor that I am just used to. They were excellent reels when they came out and still excellent today compared to most other reels.

I have a lot of "favorite" reels, but the Core 50mg7 is my "very favorite". Mine dates back

to when they were first introduced. It was a 10 right out of the box, but it's better now!

:love-093:

I didnt like the body of the Chronarch ci4.

I tried to like this frame but the way i palm my reels, its sharp lines didn't feel good in my hand. After fishing several times I got rid of my chronarch CI4.

Same with the Chronarch MGL, since it has the same body.

Other than the that, the reels preformed great. Cast smooth and retreived quitely.

I still have two core 50's and two aldebaran mg7. Great reels that I'll probably never part with.