schplurg

Yak and Trolling Motor - Limiting Paddling For Tendonitis?

Looking to possibly get a yak. My issues are lower back problems off and on, and tendontis that I am working on but it's a slow process. I don't want to paddle too much.

I can't afford a pedal drive.

I'm thinking I could get say a Predator MX and put a trolling motor on it. This would hopefully limit, if not almost eliminate my need to use a paddle. Is this a realistic expectation?

A foot pedal TM would be best so I could operate it hands free while I fish too. In this way it would be even better than pedals as I could also steer. I don't know how much a TM with such a pedal would cost yet.

I've watched a ton of Youtube about trolling mounts, batteries etc. for different yaks, so I'm somewhat familiar with the whole idea.

Are there any problems with this? I know I will need to paddle sometimes but I'd like to rely on the TM for most of it.

Thanks!

Now I'm thinking instead of a foot controller (expensive) I could rig up the existing foot pedal/rests to steer the motor - I've seen people do this. Then I'd just need a foot switch for speed, or at least to turn the TM on and off. I could rig that up I think.

Here local to me (D/FW metroplex), we have Kevin Dismuke as the guru of kayak TMs. What Kevin does is build a mount often attached to some of the built-in power pole attachments at the stern end, then he takes the head off of a TM and runs the wires to a box that can be controlled by the kayaker in the seat. Instead of using one's feet to control direction, Kevin's units have a lever attached to the TM tube and he just uses a long skinny fiberglass rod that reaches and lies along side of the kayaker to control direction. And, he has some electronics to lower and raise the TM from the seat, too.

Some canoes have side-mounted TMs so these would be placed in an area where one could operate the TM while in the seat using an extension that can be purchased from several sources.

And, a final sort I have seen a few times is a bow mounted TM, again likely using an extension arm to control power and direction.

No need to go big, a 30 lbs. thrust TM will move a kayak along at about the same speed as a larger one. Hull speed limitations.

Brad

Check out Troll King from Canyon Lake Products.

7 hours ago, schplurg said:

Looking to possibly get a yak. My issues are lower back problems off and on, and tendontis that I am working on but it's a slow process. I don't want to paddle too much.

I can't afford a pedal drive.

I'm thinking I could get say a Predator MX and put a trolling motor on it. This would hopefully limit, if not almost eliminate my need to use a paddle. Is this a realistic expectation?

A foot pedal TM would be best so I could operate it hands free while I fish too. In this way it would be even better than pedals as I could also steer. I don't know how much a TM with such a pedal would cost yet.

I've watched a ton of Youtube about trolling mounts, batteries etc. for different yaks, so I'm somewhat familiar with the whole idea.

Are there any problems with this? I know I will need to paddle sometimes but I'd like to rely on the TM for most of it.

Thanks!

Have you spent much time in a kayak? Do you know if your lower back issues will allow you to sit in a kayak for any length of time?  I have back problems and can’t sit on a ‘yak for more than half an hour before I had to get off. Your tendonitis will clear up, your back issues, probably not. Everybody is different, I hope you can comfortably fish from a kayak for years to come.   New kayaks are coming out all the time with different options for trolling motors that mount in the same space that pedals do now and have small, lightweight batteries. You just have to pay up for the added convenience. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scott F said:

Have you spent much time in a kayak? Do you know if your lower back issues will allow you to sit in a kayak for any length of time?  I have back problems and can’t sit on a ‘yak for more than half an hour before I had to get off. Your tendonitis will clear up, your back issues, probably not. Everybody is different, I hope you can comfortably fish from a kayak for years to come.   New kayaks are coming out all the time with different options for trolling motors that mount in the same space that pedals do now and have small, lightweight batteries. You just have to pay up for the added convenience. 

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have not used a kayak. Definitely need to try it first.

I do sit a lot in a position similar to that of a kayak though. I have a low chair at home. Sitting, casting, and holding myself steady will all require use of my back. I think with my back issues I can do it, but won't know until I try. I've even played with a fishing rod while sitting in my chair at home to see how it would feel to cast.

I don't know if paddling would help or hurt it. When I work a lot and my back is strong I don't have too many issues. Comes and goes. But it's my main concern with a yak.

I looked up some DIY options for foot controls. Some could be as simple as an on/off switch. Say I get a bite, I can have it already in reverse and hit a switch to get moving. But just having the motor at all will solve most of my problems.

I will check out all the links you guys supplied in few hours.

My other option is an aluminum V-hull, tricked out like a bass boat. I want to do that too, but I think a yak will get me on the water sooner, and more frequently. Maybe I'll go to store today and see if I can demo a few somehow.

I run a TM powered Native Ultimate 12 which is a hybrid kayak/canoe.

Built the setup myself using a Minn Kota C2 30, running cables to my

foot pedals, and I use a variable power module giving "infinite" forward

and reverse.

The folks at https://www.wirelesstrollingpro.com/ are fantastic to deal

with, and make a great product that is finding more and more popularity

among kayak anglers. Found this company out through YouTuber called

Aksman - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnl__DThu7j5W32-_8BFzkw/videos

You might find his videos interesting.

As well, I do not sit low in my kayak, rather, I built a platform to raise

my seat to the gunnels of my U12. Yes it makes it a bit tippier, though I

have never capsized it, and I also stand and fish every outing.

There are kayaks that are wider and more comfortable to stand in, but

they will weigh more.

I almost bought a Shadow Caster on CraigsList. It just seemed too heavy to drag around for me. But it was a beast as far as stability goes. Watched a lot of videos before the CL post disappeared.

Just drove 20 miles to a kayak place. Website said they'd be open :( They weren't. I knew I should have called.

Scott makes a good point about making sure you can sit in a kayak for a period of time.  I also have a bad back (2 herniated disks) and tried many kayaks before buying one. I would suggest renting one before you buy one. I also was fortunate that a local lake offered unlimited season passes. I was able to rent several types of kayaks, canoes and row boats all season. After a summer of doing this and going to several demo days for brands they didn’t have, I had a good sense of what would work for me. Most didn’t. Some that were supposed to be super comfortable, I couldn’t tolerate. I wound up buying a Perception Pescador Pro. You cant stand in it and it has lousy rod holders, but it gets me out. I’ve seen some videos of people mounting trolling motors. The seat was confortable for me but everyones back is different. I’ve tried the Predator pdl. The seat was confortable on that but its a beast to transport. Another thing for you to think about. Good luck and I hope your back and tendoniitis get better soon.