Jared L

Kayak power poles question

I’ve had a power pole on my kayak for about two years now and couldn’t imagine going out without it. However, with it only being one pivot point the kayak still turns in any direction with the wind/current. I’ve seen one other guy touch on this subject but I was looking here for more help. Would two power poles on the back give a completely still kayak since it has two pivot points?? I feel like it’s good in theory but I’d like some input before I drop any cash. 

Or would having one pole in the back and running my anchor wizard off of the front have the same effect? 

I can't envision a regular powerpole on a kayak?  I sure would be interested to see how you mounted a pole and pump and powered it.  Now, I could possibly see a micro anchor by powerpole but not a regular pole that normally needs a bracket and is pretty heavy let alone a second pole to the setup.  

55 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

I can't envision a regular powerpole on a kayak?  I sure would be interested to see how you mounted a pole and pump and powered it.  Now, I could possibly see a micro anchor by powerpole but not a regular pole that normally needs a bracket and is pretty heavy let alone a second pole to the setup.  

I'm Pretty sure he is talking about having a second micro pole on his kayak.

If I were you I would talk to someone at a dealership or even contact the people at power-pole, I hear the customer support is superb there. they could tell you if it was possible or recommended to put two poles on the yak'.

Good luck with it though.

Yes, using a second anchor would keep you from swinging on the pivot point of the power pole. By really thinking how you deploy the anchors. You should be able to anchor quietly.  Drop that front anchor and pay out some line. paddle/pedal back and to the side.  Set you power pole and then take up the slack on the bow anchor and secure.  Anchoring properly is a lost art form  

FM

3 hours ago, TOXIC said:

I can't envision a regular powerpole on a kayak?

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-outback/#fishing

The 2019 Hobie Outback comes Micro Power Pole Ready.

I've seen guys run two Micros off the back.  I can only imagine having one in the front and rear being a huge impediment.  I anchor quite a bit in mild current, and sometimes heavy wind, and I actually don't mind the "swing."  It helps me explore angles when fishing a break.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. Yes I was talking about the micro anchor from power pole. The need really arises when I’m fishing directly towards the bank flipping/pitching and the boat turns 90 degrees to the left/right based on the current. Just creates a bit of a nuisance. But both of the poles would be in the back, none in the front. 

Since the micro deploys straight down you would need to get some distance between the 2 poles to get a good grip, otherwise you will still spin.  

2 hours ago, TOXIC said:

Since the micro deploys straight down you would need to get some distance between the 2 poles to get a good grip, otherwise you will still spin.  

I think that is more of the issue, how far apart do they have to be? I’d prefer them to be at 45 degree angles from each other off the back but they may have to come off the sides of the boat. 

That is a physics question and I'm out!!:lol:  I know that my regular power poles deploy at an angle slightly away from each other from their mounting spots.  so they deploy in somewhat of a "V" configuration.  Would be great if someone could do the math to predict the angle needed to hold considering the weight of the yak vs the current speed vs the length of the yak for water resistance.  That person would not be me.  

• Haha 2