WRangler506

How would braid vs FC differ on 2 MF casting rods?

I have a new Avid X 7 MF that I spooled up with 12lb Tatsu. Figured Id try the best FC line first rather than incremental steps....

Also setting up a new Aetos 7MF, and I was thinking of spooling it with 50lb braid, and an FC leader to fish them both and see how they compare.

Which would you use for fishing a bit of cover or grass, the Aetos? It has a slightly less fast action in my opinion. But I dont yet own a MH rod. 

Would you fish different baits on these with one being braid and one FC?

Two rods total?  Both MF?  Is that correct?  Both casting?  One each spinning and casting?  

If so, what is the question?  How to spool each to get maximum utility out of the pair?

What is 'bit of cover'?  Pads?  Laydowns?  Just grass?  What sort?  Punching thick?  Or....?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Choporoz said:

Two rods total?  Both MF?  Is that correct?  Both casting?  One each spinning and casting?  

If so, what is the question?  How to spool each to get maximum utility out of the pair?

What is 'bit of cover'?  Pads?  Laydowns?  Just grass?  What sort?  Punching thick?  Or....?

I have a ton of spinning rods, and a casting 705CB. Just wondering how to outfit the second MF casting rod for different baits or light northern cover, or to help me compare the Flouro vs braid setups. VERY spare pads or cattail edges, but just some sparse hydrilla, milfoil and pondweed. I realize this isnt a MH rod, but it a pretty stout Med like the St Croix.

Seems silly to put the same 12lb FC on both, so looking for the best other option. LEaning to 50lb braid and 12lb FC leader, just dont know if you would fish the same stuff with each.

So...you've got crankbaits and spinning applications covered.  You're taking two baitcasting rods, both MF; one with 12# FC and one with 50# braid....?

IMO....

MF w/ 12# FC: Jigs 1/4 to 3/8; 1/8-1/4 trig; spinner/chatter;  small swimbaits/swim jigs; ; 1/4 rage rig plastics; senkos

MF w/50# braid: Jigs 3/8+; >1/4 trig;  buzz; frogs/toads....

Go ahead and experiment -- I'm changing my mind all the time about exactly what line I like for which applications

17 minutes ago, ResoKP said:

50# braid is overkill for a M/F rod

30# will be more beneficial

I was doing it for handling puroses more than anything. Ive read several time to go w 40-50 over 20-30 to avoid backlashes and tangles.

Anyone agree or disagree?

4 minutes ago, WRangler506 said:

I was doing it for handling puroses more than anything. Ive read several time to go w 40-50 over 20-30 to avoid backlashes and tangles.

Braid is already easier to cast/manage than mono/fluoro. 50# or higher braid is used to rip through thick grass and vegetation when frogging and/or flipping/punching which would be done on a Heavy powered rod. I would not put a Medium powered rod through that style of fishing. You would be gaining all the drawbacks (i.e. reduced casting distance) and gaining none of the benefits of using 50# braid on a Medium rod.

IMHO. DYODD. GL.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ResoKP said:

50# braid is overkill for a M/F rod

30# will be more beneficial

The way I see it, #50 is over kill for any fresh water rod, but I still use it because it doesn't dig into the spool as often and is easier to see.

#30 works well also though.

Really wouldn't throw anything above 12lb FC on a M/f rod unless it was something like a medium moderate fast crankbait rod for squarebills with 15lb.  50lb braid is really best for jigs/frogs. Like others have said 30lb braid might be better for your use if you need to use braid. 

2 hours ago, WRangler506 said:

I disagree. 50# is overkill. I'd go with either a 30# or at most 40# on the braid. I am going to assume that you'll probably not be using much heavier then a 15-16# leader if not 10 or 12lb FC or mono (think light topwater plugs

for the mono). Lighter lines will "fit" the rod and action better and your lures will have better action with lighter line. Also with a medium action rod you won't be throwing heavy baits or I hope not anyways.  You not trying to wrassle big'uns out of thick cover (info from your original post).  The line diameters will match better which IMHO make for better connection knots. Also again IMHO learn to tie the FG knot because it is the best braid to leader knot out there. Let the disagreeing begin. :)

Fishingmickey

most 50lb braid is equal to 12lb diameter mono.  why would it be OK to use 12lb mono but not 50lb braid?  doesnt make sense.  dont get hung up on the test rating, diameter is more important.  that being said I like 40lb braid best.  30 still feels too thin to me on a casting reel.  However, most of my medium casting rods are spooled with 12lb mono. 

Not sure why people use such heavy braid. I use 65lb "rope" on my punching rod but tend to use 20-30lb on most of my bait casters with 8-15lb fluorocarbon leaders. I even have a couple of finesse bait cast rigs with Shimano 70 reels spooled with 15lb braid to 6-8lb fluorocarbon and they cast like a dream and catch fish as well as my spinning rods. A benefit of braid is that it is thinner per its rating and thus casts farther. I rarely ever backlash or break off unless I do something foolish which has been known to happen on rare occasions.  I use mostly 10lb braid to 4-8lb fluorocarbon or mono on my spinning rods. 

As stated above, 30 pound braid is more appropriate for that rod.  Also if you're worried about tangles and backlash with 30 pound braid just wait until you try the FC!  The 30 lb braid will seem like heaven.  LOL

I fish a 7’1” medium extra fast glx 852c spooled up with 30lbs braid and a 12lbs leader, also used 8lbs leader with no problems. I fish 3/16-1/4oz jigs plus trailer, 1/8oz t-rigs, smaller paddle tails (it’s an extrafast but fairly soft so it’s not terrible), I’ve tried spybaits, small jerks, but better for single hook applications. It’s a good wacky rig rod though. Or exposed hook (nose hooked flukes), and shaky heads. 

I wouldnt fish any cover with it, really really light cover maybe but mainly closer to lay downs and open water.

the 12lbs floro rod, or the softer/slower rod I would try poppers, small topwater, lipless, small cranks, jerks and such

On 3/27/2019 at 10:27 AM, Dens228 said:

As stated above, 30 pound braid is more appropriate for that rod.  Also if you're worried about tangles and backlash with 30 pound braid just wait until you try the FC!  The 30 lb braid will seem like heaven.  LOL

The other rod has 12lb Tatsu. Do you think even with Tatsu it would be not great handling?

I have sunline supernatural mono 12lb on my champion and I couldnt ask for anything better. Im assuming the 12lb Tatsu wont handle as good as the mono, but I really dont know.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:38 AM, Matt_3479 said:

I fish a 7’1” medium extra fast glx 852c spooled up with 30lbs braid and a 12lbs leader, also used 8lbs leader with no problems. I fish 3/16-1/4oz jigs plus trailer, 1/8oz t-rigs, smaller paddle tails (it’s an extrafast but fairly soft so it’s not terrible), I’ve tried spybaits, small jerks, but better for single hook applications. It’s a good wacky rig rod though. Or exposed hook (nose hooked flukes), and shaky heads. 

I wouldnt fish any cover with it, really really light cover maybe but mainly closer to lay downs and open water.

the 12lbs floro rod, or the softer/slower rod I would try poppers, small topwater, lipless, small cranks, jerks and such

I already have the Power pro in 30lb that I was going to exchange for 40lb, but most people here seem to be saying to just run the 30lb. As for a leader, the 12lb tatsu I have says .285mm dia and the power pro 30lb is .280mm dia. Seems like a good match. Not sure how important that is, but doesnt get much closer than that.