fishraptor

2011 Opti 200HP (cold start problems, Temp Sensors)

I have a 2011 200HP Opti with 300 hours. Runs like a raped ape in summer. No skip, no pop, just instant throttle response.  Has new plugs, new fuel, new filters, etc. 

Problem: when temp gets below say 50 or 45 she just cranks, and cranks and cranks.  I have 2 brand new batteries in her (850 & 1150 cca for total of 2000 cold cranking amps).  All electrical connections are super clean and she cranks fine.  Was told maybe a temp sensors has failed which determines the choke amount.  I would like to change whatever sensors I need to see if that fixes the problem before shelling out a bunch of money at the Merc dealer.  

Can anyone tell me which (how many) sensors I would need to change or how to test.  I would assume there must be an "air" temperature sensor and a "water/block" temperature sensor but don't now how many, where they are or how to test or change.  I do have electrical friends with good ohms meters that will help.   Is there a PDF service bulletin manual that would describe testing/replacing. 

Was told my the merc mechanic that Opti's should start o.k. in cold weather.  If there is something else that might be causing this issue please advise what and possibly how to check. 

thank you in advance.  

I recently sold a 2016 200HP Opti with 120 hours on it.

Although a newer motor, it started fine in the cold, and I'm talking icebergs at the dock.

Can't assist with the sensor info sorry.

Good Luck though.

:smiley:

A-Jay

Seems like your Merc tech could answer this most accurately.

• Thanks 1

A LOT of Merc tech's are VERY reluctant to give you much info regarding fixing you engine, especially in the "slow" time of the year. They would just

prefer you bring it to them to diagnose and fix.  I actually would be the two Merc tech's I spoke to didn't give me a "warm & fuzzy" as to what they thought it might be. If it were something as simple as checking and replacing temp sensors (which I think would be a breeze for them) then they should say as such, but when they roll their eyes and start talking it could be 4 to 6 hours and I'm really don't have a clue as to what it might be standing here, that scares me.  Hence, if I can change the sensors myself and prob goes away I am out the price of a few sensors and my time and

i/we can remove that part of the puzzle if and when I do bring it to the dealer.  I don't have a problem bringing it to a dealer I just don't want to be charge a half days labor for a bad sensor and a 3" piece of gas hose that just didn't seem right. 

8 minutes ago, fishraptor said:

A LOT of Merc tech's are VERY reluctant to give you much info regarding fixing you engine, especially in the "slow" time of the year. They would just

prefer you bring it to them to diagnose and fix.  I actually would be the two Merc tech's I spoke to didn't give me a "warm & fuzzy" as to what they thought it might be. If it were something as simple as checking and replacing temp sensors (which I think would be a breeze for them) then they should say as such, but when they roll their eyes and start talking it could be 4 to 6 hours and I'm really don't have a clue as to what it might be standing here, that scares me.  Hence, if I can change the sensors myself and prob goes away I am out the price of a few sensors and my time and

i/we can remove that part of the puzzle if and when I do bring it to the dealer.  I don't have a problem bringing it to a dealer I just don't want to be charge a half days labor for a bad sensor and a 3" piece of gas hose that just didn't seem right. 

I understand and sympathize with your mindset here.

I think we all just want to believe we are being treated fairly.

But what's the 'value' in the stress, worry, and the challenge of doing what you're attempting to do right now worth ?

Personally, I'm letting the human with the training & years of experience absorb all of that BS.  I don't want it.

Clearly, there's a possibility that it might be $$$ to repair - but I would want it done once, done right and be done with, rather than chasing my tail all over the globe trying to diagnose & repair something I have less knowledge & experience doing than is truly needed to accomplish it successfully. 

Seems it's been going on long enough to warrant the attention of a professional. 

A-Jay

• Like 1