benjaminlatta

North Carolina Suggestions

Hi all, 

My family is renting a place on the outer banks for the last week of April - we are from Canada. I'm going down a week early and renting a yak to do some bass fishing.  I've literally never fished South of Canada, so this is very new. I've done a lot of research and starting from the Outer Banks I plan to hit Phelps Lake, maybe the Alligator River, Scuppernog River. If it is worth it I wouldn't mind driving further West to hit some bass lakes - Waccawamaw, Harris etc are the ones I've found. I'm wondering if it is worth it?  It is hard to get an idea from afar. 

My main considerations are: 

- time (not too far from OBX ideally, though I have 5 days to work with)

- being able to figure out where to fish on a lake in a short time (within reason)

- having a shot at a 6lb + larggie as they simply don't grow that big where I'm from

- places that have some shelter for kayak fishing and don't require covering a huge amount of water - some nice scenery is a plus. 

- skunk avoidance

Also I can't find any affordable motor boat rentals on any of the main bass lakes. If anyone has a lead that'd be awesome. 

I'm not looking for any honey holes, just some general advice from those that know the land. 

Cheers.

Search for the website obxconnection.  Look for the link to the message board  There is a section on Outer Banks fishing.   I haven't been on that site for a while but I do remember there being info about freshwater.

54 minutes ago, RSmall said:

Search for the website obxconnection.  Look for the link to the message board  There is a section on Outer Banks fishing.   I haven't been on that site for a while but I do remember there being info about freshwater.

Thanks, I'll check that out. 

It all depends on how far you want to drive. You are looking at a couple for drive and you'll be at Jordan, Shearon Harris, or Kerr Reservoir/Buggs Island, all near the Raleigh area. There are probably several other smaller lakes that are closer but I'm not familiar with them due to being on the other side of NC. And I can't help with boat rental either. Look at NCKFA for more info on fishing in the eastern part, especially around the Outer Banks.