Happy April everyone, I know I'm not the only one itching to get out and wet a line. I anticipate I'll back the boat into the water around mid-late April. I know it's somewhat important to keep an eye on forecasted overnight temps, prior to putting the boat in, to ensure I do not store it overnight in freezing conditions. Does anyone have any real do's or don'ts when it comes to fishing during the earlier days of Spring and overnight temps can still drop into the 20's-30's? I want to fish, but not so bad that I'm willing to risk damage to my outboard. This is only my second year of fishing with my 16ft Crestliner and 50hp Merc 4-stroke. I learned the hard way last year what happens when you run an outboard with a damaged prop because I let the allure of fishing overwhelm my better judgement...$$$$$$ Don't want to make that same lapse in judgement mistake twice by allowing water to freeze in my motor. I pose this question knowing there's alot of other new boat owners that might be or should be wondering the same thing. Thanks!

As long as you lower the motor once it’s on the trailer for a minute to drain out the majority of the water, then once you get home, store it with the motor vertical, all the water will drain out and you’ll be fine. The real problem is if the motor is stored trimmed up so water can be caught in the lower end, if it’s vertical they’re designed to drain completely. I deal with this every spring and late fall, and I’ve never had an issue. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Way north bass guy said:

As long as you lower the motor once it’s on the trailer for a minute to drain out the majority of the water, then once you get home, store it with the motor vertical, all the water will drain out and you’ll be fine. The real problem is if the motor is stored trimmed up so water can be caught in the lower end, if it’s vertical they’re designed to drain completely. I deal with this every spring and late fall, and I’ve never had an issue. 

Yup ~ This  ^^^^^^^^^

btw - I'd really love to drain the water out of my Outboard right about now . . . 

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A-Jay said:

Yup ~ This  ^^^^^^^^^

btw - I'd really love to drain the water out of my Outboard right about now . . . 

:smiley:

A-Jay

Yeah me too. Gonna be a few more weeks here at least. 

• Like 1

This is how I store my boat all winter because I fish all winter.  I have access to the warm water discharge lake from a nuke power plant.  If I can get there, I can fish.  I have never winterized my motor and it will sit out in freezing temps right from the lake.  As has been said, store with your motor in the down position so that it drains.  Since I have a speedo and Water Pressure gauges, I unhook the connection for them at the motor and drain out the lines.  I make sure the livewells are drained or better yet that I don't get any water in them.  I have had some pretty funny things happen.  I have had the boat freeze to the bunks and one morning I got to the ramp to put my bilge plug in and the drain was frozen shut with ice.  I had to sacrifice a thermos of hot coffee in the bilge to melt it.  I now open the plug from the bilge when I pull out of the lake to drain and them put it back in when I get home.  Side note:  It's going to take a long span of freezing temps to even begin to raise concern for a motor, especially if daytime temps are above freezing.  

jan22.jpg

Drain the water from the motor, drain the livewell, and leave the lids cracked. Nothing is more frustrating than finding  out, after you're on the water that the lids are frozen shut.