Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So I have 2 rods and need 1 reels. Right now I have a chronarch mgl on my imx Pro frogging rod. I just acquired an nrx 853c and an expride 7’ lite+ spinning rod. Wondering if I should throw the chronarch on the nrx and grab a bantam for the imx pro, or keep the chronarch there and grab a metanium. I need a ci4+ for the expride.

 

Eventually ill I’ll be getting all three reels but either the bantam or the metanium will have to wait a while. Wondering which would you get first 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

flip a coin

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try the reel on both rods and see which one feels better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy the bantam & then you can decide which other reel to sell next to fund the 2nd & 3rd bantam. I sold three metaniums to get more bantams. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bankbeater said:

Try the reel on both rods and see which one feels better.

X2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dwight Hottle said:

Buy the bantam & then you can decide which other reel to sell next to fund the 2nd & 3rd bantam. I sold three metaniums to get more bantams. 

bit of a bantam fan I see lol what was the reason you switch from metaniums to bantams? 

 

2 hours ago, Bankbeater said:

Try the reel on both rods and see which one feels better.

You talking try the chronarch on both rods to see which one it feels better on and buy a reel for the opposite rod? Didn’t think of that lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for the Bantam. I have one on an 894 and couldn't be more happy with how solid and smooth it feels. I have a Chronarch on an 893 and they make a sweet pair... should be very similar for your 853. All that being said, you'll be quite happy with a Met or Bantam.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can answer my reasons i wont be to quick to buy another Metanium... and will be adding more Bantams to the several i already have...they are true workhorses with the 1 piece aluminum main body frame, brass gears etc...ive more than tested the Bantams mettle and they passed...which after putting the screws to them, all my Bantams are just as they were, perfectly fine & smooth...

 

this is what happens when you put a Metanium through its paces with its micro duralumn drive gear, several spots on the gear where teeth are chipped, this spot in the pic is the worst spot 👎 ...Which this Met I've upgraded and put the brass gear set in, i'll retest this season putting it through the same as i did prior...but if it passes, still doesnt mean I'll buy another just to spend more on it with upgrading the gear set...

metdrivegear.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bantam took the typical five piece frame and reduced it to three pieces increasing the structural integrity of the reel. The increased rigidity of the frame contributes to an extremely smooth handling reel.  The new bantam is the conquest equalivent of the low profile reels. It’s a major design improvement. The reel is smooth as silk and a true workhorse design. My first water test of the reel left me wondering about it’s casting distance. After talking to a reel tech I found the answer to better casting distance. I always set my shimano reels up with one or two brakes on. This was not the right way for the bantam to achieve maximum casting distance. I was instructed to employ all four brakes on and set the braking dial at 2.5 then fine tune the dial a .5 adjustment at a time until I was happy with the outcome. That advice turned it into a distance casting machine for me. I have had Antares, core, metaniums, Calais & metanium dc, essence dc & Calais dc and curados. I like the bantams the best of all the other non dc reels. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take the metanium, I have 2 of them, one metanium 14 and a metanium MGL.

 

They are probably my favorite reels, I did however change both main gears to curado K brass, but I never

had any problems with gears chipping of any kind, I just wanted smoother...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 9:02 PM, Frog Turds said:

i can answer my reasons i wont be to quick to buy another Metanium... and will be adding more Bantams to the several i already have...they are true workhorses with the 1 piece aluminum main body frame, brass gears etc...ive more than tested the Bantams mettle and they passed...which after putting the screws to them, all my Bantams are just as they were, perfectly fine & smooth...

 

this is what happens when you put a Metanium through its paces with its micro duralumn drive gear, several spots on the gear where teeth are chipped, this spot in the pic is the worst spot 👎 ...Which this Met I've upgraded and put the brass gear set in, i'll retest this season putting it through the same as i did prior...but if it passes, still doesnt mean I'll buy another just to spend more on it with upgrading the gear set...

metdrivegear.jpg

 

Holy lord! Makes me wonder why they wouldn’t have brass gears when curado k, chronarch mgl and bantam all do. Also has me thinking why the chronarch mgl isn’t equally impressive as the metanium. I love my chronarch mgl’s and have been told to just stick with them instead of stepping up to the Mets. But curiosity is getting the best of me

 

On 4/9/2019 at 10:52 PM, Dwight Hottle said:

The bantam took the typical five piece frame and reduced it to three pieces increasing the structural integrity of the reel. The increased rigidity of the frame contributes to an extremely smooth handling reel.  The new bantam is the conquest equalivent of the low profile reels. It’s a major design improvement. The reel is smooth as silk and a true workhorse design. My first water test of the reel left me wondering about it’s casting distance. After talking to a reel tech I found the answer to better casting distance. I always set my shimano reels up with one or two brakes on. This was not the right way for the bantam to achieve maximum casting distance. I was instructed to employ all four brakes on and set the braking dial at 2.5 then fine tune the dial a .5 adjustment at a time until I was happy with the outcome. That advice turned it into a distance casting machine for me. I have had Antares, core, metaniums, Calais & metanium dc, essence dc & Calais dc and curados. I like the bantams the best of all the other non dc reels. 

Awesome thank you! Maybe I’ll try the bantam first as I can get a deal on it right now and wait on the met till much later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 9:02 PM, Frog Turds said:

i can answer my reasons i wont be to quick to buy another Metanium... and will be adding more Bantams to the several i already have...they are true workhorses with the 1 piece aluminum main body frame, brass gears etc...ive more than tested the Bantams mettle and they passed...which after putting the screws to them, all my Bantams are just as they were, perfectly fine & smooth...

 

this is what happens when you put a Metanium through its paces with its micro duralumn drive gear, several spots on the gear where teeth are chipped, this spot in the pic is the worst spot 👎 ...Which this Met I've upgraded and put the brass gear set in, i'll retest this season putting it through the same as i did prior...but if it passes, still doesnt mean I'll buy another just to spend more on it with upgrading the gear set...

metdrivegear.jpg

What exactly does “through the paces “ consist of on your example? I’m curious as I don’t see a lot of bad gears unless neglect or user error are in play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it was a brand new Met, used it primarily as one of my dedicated froggin reels in the Mississippi backwaters which is extreme heavy cover and is most all of what i do...if i guesstimate, sometime during the end of the first month or 2nd month...used several bantams for same or heavier work, still perfectly just fine with brass micros...i got other Mets, which i never used for heavy work and those are still just dandy as well...so ya, I put that particular one under the most extreme conditions = paces...and i wont use, atleast not micro dura drive gears for heavy workload garbage again...not really all that fond of 2 different alloys, brass pinion and dura drive gear together either...maybe if not micro would be fine or maybe its just the dura micro itself vs brass micros...dont matter it failed the test, bantams didnt miss a beat nor did my other reels ive used over the years for same work... bottom line, i wont be using micro dura's for heavy work that i need to put my gear through again...

 

i'll add, of all BC's reels past & present...this was the only reel with a dura drive gear i left stock & only micro dura that i left stock and tested for workhorse duties that i didnt throw a brass gear set in right off the bat...ironically, its the only BC i've ever had teeth chip out on me...hmmm, hell of a coincidence if ya ask me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the help. Ran out today and picked up a bantam mgl xg, spun up 50lbs power pro, tied on my favorite frog (jackall karea) and dropped it on top of my imx pro 884 twfr and boy does it ever feel sweet! Can’t wait for water temp to rise so I can play around with this combo.

 

moved the chronarch over to the nrx, spun up 30lbs power pro to 8lbs leader for now tied with an fg knot and throw a t-rigged senko on it for now. The rod balances beautifully, and feels great!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...