superkamikazee

North East Spring Struggle, tips?

My first outting this spring was pretty successful all things considered. I went to one small lake, it's generally very shallow, max 11' in one spot, average 5' deep. Wasn't having luck there, water temp 50-52F, so I moved to a pond across town. Pond is much deeper but has plenty of shallows, caught 3 fish in 2 hours 55-57F water, up shallow 3' of water, mostly on a shallow crank.

I have been going back to said pond that I had good luck in, and have gotten skunked or caught one dink. Weather has been warming, as has the water. But recently we have had a ton of rain. I tried fishing the same shallows I was before, but didn't have any luck with a jerkbait, crank bait, chatter bait, or jig. 

I found plenty of new shallows, and that's where I found a boat load of blue gill and pumpkin seed. They we're hanging out in flooded areas in 2' of water. I tried fishing in these new shallow flooded areas as well as the outskirts, still no luck.

With the 10 day forecast mostly rain, I'm stumped on how to fish this productive pond I've had success with before. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

You and me both man, this is the slowest start to spring I've ever had. Lakes around me are mostly into the mid-50s and I've got 1 fish over 3lbs to show for it and a bunch of dinks. 

• Sad 1

Is the water dirty from all of the rain? If it is you could try fishing a spinner with a big Colorado blade. Fish it a little slow. Also, senkos are my fail safe. They seem to almost always work. Especially if you're hitting flooded shallows. Sometimes you just have to try a bunch of things to find out what they want. 

2 hours ago, Jleebesaw said:

Is the water dirty from all of the rain? If it is you could try fishing a spinner with a big Colorado blade. Fish it a little slow. Also, senkos are my fail safe. They seem to almost always work. Especially if you're hitting flooded shallows. Sometimes you just have to try a bunch of things to find out what they want. 

Not that dirty. Picked up some senko's and some weedless wacky rig hooks. That will be my hail mary setup I guess lol.

3 hours ago, MassYak85 said:

You and me both man, this is the slowest start to spring I've ever had. Lakes around me are mostly into the mid-50s and I've got 1 fish over 3lbs to show for it and a bunch of dinks. 

All I have is a 2 lb pickerel, and a few 1-1.5 lb bass...

Been a slow start for me in WV too. Have had about the worst start to my tournament season that I could have possibly imagined. Just gotta keep grinding and keep fishing man. It'll bust open eventully. Never had a year yet that I never caught fish. 

21 hours ago, RHuff said:

Been a slow start for me in WV too. Have had about the worst start to my tournament season that I could have possibly imagined. Just gotta keep grinding and keep fishing man. It'll bust open eventully. Never had a year yet that I never caught fish. 

13 hours ago, Jcj90 said:

Same thing here in Southeast NY

It's crazy, spring is supposed to be the good bite season, but I think the heavy amount of rain and flooding is really throwing me for a loop out there. Hoping things change before I miss the pre spawn bite.