Sign in to follow this  
TX Rocky angler 84

Line and Lure Combos

First time using this forum. I have only been fishing for about 3 years mainly LM bass, sand bass,crappie. I have a couple of bait casting rod and reels both MH/Fast action using braid line.As I am sure everyone can relate, once you start getting into fishing you want to start expanding you arsenal $$$. I recently bought a JM carbon lite 2.0 combo Rod (7.0 Meduim /Moderate) Reel (8.3.1) as I wanted to get a different set up.I am wondering what is the best type of line and lures to use on this Rod/Reel combo??? As I have done some research and I am getting conflicting information! Some say only use PolyC line and crank baits some say braid line with light jigs, others say Mono with spinners. I am having trouble deciding the best way to set this up to be the most versatile. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

All around:  Seaguar #6 InvizX for spinning tackle; #12 for baitcasting gear

Technique specific: Seaguar AbrazX #12 or #15 for single hooks;  Sunline Armilo #11

for treble hooks.

Upgrade: Tatsu #6, #12 and #15 for single hooks

:easter-eggs-092:

Since the rod is a medium with moderate action, it would be best for crankbaits. But I feel that your reel with the faster gear ratio may not be suited for crankbaits. 

The rod with a moderate action, probably wouldn't be ideal for jigs or soft plastics. There isn't enough stiffness to get a good hook set.

Maybe you could change your combos around a little.

Was that a premade combo?  If not I'd exchange either the rod or the reel.  What are your other reels gear ratio?

They all work. Modern lines are... amazing. Each will catch you fish, esp after you get to know one. That said, there are differences; Some prominant ones, in my mind:

-Nylon mono's (so-called "mono" and "Coploy's") are nearly foolproof, but deteriorate (weaken) quickly in sunlight (UV). They are buoyant, so they shine for near surface applications and for strike detection by line-watching. Are pretty abrasion resistant. 

-Fluorocarbon mono's sink, so they shine for deeper subsurface presentations. They can be tougher to manage than nylon mono's, esp on spinning gear, being more "wiry" and apt to jump off the spool. They do not handle twist well. They are impervious to UV, and are pretty abrasion resistant. However, they are subject to nicks and abrasion in the course of fishing so, like nylon mono's, they must be cut back or replaced after some fishing, and keeping a watchful eye on them.  

-Braids are impervious to UV, last a long time, but are not very abrasion resistant so they are usually used with a mono leader that can better handle the abuse. They float so are good for near surface presentations, and are very thin in diameter so they can work well for deeper presentations too. They do not stretch, like mono's do (both nylons and FCs), so hook-setting, and rod power/action adjustments may be needed: Can go a bit easier there big fella. :)

My advice would be to think about what presentation types you'll be using that outfit for, weigh the line info, and go from there. Bottom line, in my mind, is you can scarcely go wrong (Possible exception: If you are new to handling fishing lines, many FCs can be a hassle in terms of handling). Easy route, pick a line, get to know it, and fish. Hope this helps.

That exact combo for me would be used for jerkbaits, shallow cranks and topwaters with trebles.  If I were planning to use it for any topwaters I'd use 12 lb monofilament.  If no topwaters were gonna be used I'd use 12 lb flouro. Seaguar red label is my favorite for the money.  Trilene XL or basspro excel for mono. Good luck

What you have there is a treble hook rod with a jig or Texas rig reel.  Great gear, just not together.

If I had that combo, and couldn't swap for a slower reel or faster rod, I would most definitely put 30lb braid on it. The lack of stretch in braid should help you set single hooks with the moderate action rod, and that same moderate action can help keep trebles pinned. You will have to turn that reel painfully slow for most moving baits... it's not that big of a deal you just can't lose focus or you will be burning spinners like buzz baits. Just because it isn't a prototypical setup don't mean it can't work for you.