Sign in to follow this  
LOW7681

Anyone running a 50/60 hp Four Stroke on an Aluminum Boat?

I am interested in learning the satisfaction with getting on plane and top speed running an  aluminum boat in the 17' range that weights in at about 850 # bare hull and an additional 250# of batteries, trolling motor and gear  and 15 gallons of gas to be in the range of 1200#s.

I'm assuming that a 50/60 hp four stroke  motor weight would add on about another 250#.

Plus 350# of people weight.

Total maximum weight ready launch to fish would be in the range of 1800#

Thanks

I have a 16 ft older sea nymph and a older (1981) 70 hp 2 stroke.  

My top speed is 32-33 mph with a 15 inch prop at ~5200 rpms.  Don't know if I'm getting the most out of it, I might try a 17 this week.

I usually cruise at ~21 mph/3500-4000 rpm, again I don't know if I'm running that well here either.

Not exactly your boat or engine, but have to assume that the boats are withing a few 100lbs of each other.  

Hope this helps

I had a 60 hp Merc two stroke on the boat and it performed well.  On plane reasonably quick and top speed with one or two passengers about 35-37.

Considering a 60 hp 4 stroke merc.  Cubic centimeter displacement on the two stroke is 966 and the four stroke 995.  Two stroke weighs 219# and the four stroke 247#.  Seems to be a wash.

But  some say the four stroke is much (?) slower to get the boat on plane.  And that was the reason for the question regarding others experiences on the water.  

Well, can you be more specific in what info you are looking for?

I have a 50hp 2-stroke on an 18 foot aluminum.  I am running right around the same weights as you mentioned.  My fastest so far is around 27 on the speedo.  I have heard that the only way to get an accurate reading is off a gps, but I haven't had the chance to try.

Also, I know nothing about propeller designs so that might be able to change things.  I'm still breaking my engine in, so I have yet to have the throttle wide open.  One of these days I'll use a gps to see what exactly I'm accurately getting.

I'm hoping that some on this board are running a similar boat in weight to mine that has a 50 or 60 hp four stroke on it.  And, how the boat performs.

On another board an individual said that a 60 two stroke performs as well as a 75 four stroke.  I find that hard to believe, however, if it is true it would reflect on my decision to go with a 60 hp four stroke.

For a week out of the year I fish big water and a reasonable top speed in the mid thirties coupled with getting the boat on plane rather quickly is important.  Just don't want to have to run down the lake cross ways to couple foot high waves and take a  hundred yards to get the boat on plane.

I wish I had access to was torque and horsepower curves for a 60 hp Merc two stroke and a 60 hp four stroke.  Just can't find them.

I asked about both 50 and 60 hp four strokes to broaden the possibility of a response.  Also, I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the 60 hp four stroke gets its' ten more horsepower at the top end and therefore the whole shot might be similar as the RPMs would be lower.

I would expect the two stroke to get you out of the hole quicker but be shy on the top end, and a little of the opposite on the four. The two will have more of a "bite" if you will, where the four will run smoother at higher speed.

I have a 16 ft Crestliner w/60 4 stroke merc, and with me and my wife in it it will do 35/37 on the speedo . I will be putting a gps in it when I do I will repost.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for the post--it is helpful.

Which Crestliner boat is it?  My Crestliner is a 1994 model so it is narrow of beam and lighter than the current models which are wider and deeper.

Knowing which Crestliner you have will help to determine weight difference.  And is it a tiller boat or console.  Also, what is the prop pitch etc and is it SS or aluminum?  Do you have three batteries and a trolling motor on the boat?

Will be interested in your GPS speed when available. Any estimate how long it takes you to get up on plane with two aboard?

Thanks again, I know I'm imposing with a lot of questions.

Bob

It's a 2008 1600 Fishhawk side console . only running two batt,and a 46 lb trolling motor. I'm not sure what prop is on it sorry. It's just the prop the dealer put on. It don't seem to take to long to get on plain. I'm not one that goes balls out all over the place I like to look around alot.  :)

When I get my GPS I will let you know what the speed is.

Hope this helps some what.

Kevin

I have a 2008 Fisher that's 17.5' with a 2008 60 hp Merc 4 stroke. Its got 13 gal fuel tank,  aerated baitwells, aerated livewell, etc. Think it weights around 1800 loaded, atleast in that area. Hole shot is fine, gets on the plane pretty quick. GPS speed is 39 mph.

I have a 17' War Eagle with a 40HP 4 stroke. Wide open and loaded with two people and gear I do 29 to 31 MPH depending on conditions.  I cruise at about 20 to 22 mph at 4000 to 4200RPM.

This info is from the GPS.

I have a 17' War Eagle with a 40HP 4 stroke. Wide open and loaded with two people and gear I do 29 to 31 MPH depending on conditions.  I cruise at about 20 to 22 mph at 4000 to 4200RPM.

This info is from the GPS.

jeez either my boat is a pig or my engine needs a tune up, or is that just the difference between a 4 and 2 stroke?

what year engine do you have?

Thanks Elleser. Any chance you know your prop pitch? And is it SS or aluminum.

Bob

Not off of the top of my head. Its the stock prop that came on the boat.

Elleser,

I checked on the Fisher boat home page and noticed that Fisher provides numerous boats in the 17' or so range. Weights range from the all welded jon at 430# to 900 or so pounds.

If you would let me know the exact boat you have it would allow to have a more precise comparison.

Thanks,

Bob

Elleser,

I checked on the Fisher boat home page and noticed that Fisher provides numerous boats in the 17' or so range. Weights range from the all welded jon at 430# to 900 or so pounds.

If you would let me know the exact boat you have it would allow to have a more precise comparison.

Thanks,

Bob

Its the Mod V Hull 1710.

http://www.fisherboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=2730

Thanks everyone for sharing their boat/motor information. It was most helpful.

Should have a 60 hp Merc four stroke on my boat next week. Will initially prop with a 10.5 x 13 pitch Merc Vengeance SS prop and see how it performs.

Most likely 95 percent of the time I would be better off with a 14" pitch prop but that 5 % when a 13" pitch is a better pick is on Lake of the Woods and that is when I have a second passenger and a livewell full of water. Typically run about 200 miles a week, often in rough conditions so getting on plane quickly and good midrange power is more important than top speed.

Bob

I got approval from the War Department to get a 50 HP Mercury four stroke for my Bass Tracker.  I am really looking forward to having power trim.