GANGGREEN

Eastern TN camping....

So, I've made it....I'll be retiring in September most likely.  I live in northern Pennsylvania, but the older I get, the more I dislike our northern winters.  Unfortunately, my wife has to continue to work for at least a few years, so we're not really in a position to purchase a seasonal home further south (not convinced that we would anyway, we need to investigate the situation a bit more before I'd be comfortable doing so).  What I think I could manage would be a nicer 4-season travel trailer that I could set up on a campground on one of the eastern TN lakes (I'm leaning towards Douglas, Cherokee or possibly Norris).  

Does anyone have an opinion about whether the local climate is suitable to camping weeks at a time in a travel trailer during December, January and February (I'd try to get the best built, most heavily insulated unit that I could) and whether the fishing is worthwhile at that time?  Also, if the answer to those questions is, "sure", then does anyone have a recommendation for a campground that allows annual lot rentals with full hookup?  Ideally I'd like to build a deck for the trailer and probably hire someone to mow grass or keep an eye on the place during the summer months.

For what it's worth, I also like fly fishing and wouldn't mind figuring out the tailwater trout fisheries down there and I also like spring turkey hunting, so I might hang around later into the spring or arrive earlier in the fall if we liked it there.

The winters typically aren’t bad but they can be every once in a while. The roads around those 3 lakes are treacherous when dry, so you might get snowed in a couple times a year. I don’t know enough about RV campgrounds or campers to help you out much. Seems like there’s a lot of RVs below Douglas dam . Congrats on making it to retirement, I remember you asking about retiring in East TN on another site years back 

• Like 1

Oh man that’s awesome! Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina is my dream. Thought I’d retire at 37. Didn’t happen. I do have one more scratch off ticket in the truck tho..

good luck man and enjoy!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, yes, I finally made it.  I'm thrilled that at least that part of the plan is turning out exactly as I had hoped.  Now finding the time, finding the way and finding the money to enjoy some living in the mid-south is the next part.