Sign in to follow this  
Fish Fast

Feedback on Lowrance 520c or 522c

Can anyone tell me their likes/dislikes about these particular models.  I have heard great things about the 520c.  What is the major difference between and two?  Is it worth the money to get the 522c?  Can I interface either one with my current x125 that I will be moving from the console to the bow?  Any answers would be appreciated!

When I bought my boat back in December (2007 Skeeter ZX225) it came with a 520c and a x135. Before ever putting it in the water I completely removed the x135 and moved the 520c in its place and then installed my Humminbird 797c2 at the console. From day 1 the Lowrance had problems. Lots of interference (finally got rid of most of it but still had some), it would lose the bottom in both shallow and deep water, irregular depth and temp readings. It was so bad that I would turn the unit off and forget about it.  Finally got fed up with it and sold it on Ebay and bought a Humminbird 787c2 to go in its place. Had it for about 2 months now and not a single problem. I've read/heard that Lowrance has better 2D sonar but not in my opinion. I can see everything on Humminbird that you can see on Lowrance and do it with no problems.

I'll never own another Lowrance unit  :o

SkeeterZX225 where was the interference coming from, I just picked one of these up and put it on my boat but yet get to try it out. hope I don't run into an interference problem.

It was picking up interference from both the trolling motor (it was mounted at the bow) and from the Humminbird 797c2 I had at the console. Turning the 797 off, took some of the interference away, but then I had to run a ground wire from the trolling motor to the fish finder.

I have the 522 and absolutely love it.  My only negative comment is to not rely on the Auto Sensitivity setting for the Sonar.  Set it for your particular conditions.  On the plus side, Lowrance has regular software upgrades for both their sonar units and their Lakes packages.

I have the 520c units in my boat and have had for nearly a year.  My electronics dealer recommended it over the 522 because of the way I use my units.  I have them in all kinds of angles and directions and he said the 522 antenna would not work in all those positions.

You can network with the other unit but only for temp.

I bought Lowrance because I have a good Lowrance support system from guys who have a vast amount of knowledge in use and interpretation of Lowrance.

Skeeter - it sounds like you had a problem with the transducer.  I had the exact same problem with an older Lowrance unit.  Replaced the transducer and everything work fine after that.

It may have been a transducer problem. When I swapped it from the console to the bow, I purchased a brand new transducer for it and started having problems the first time out (could've been bad from the beginning).

Alot of people have these units and love them, I'm just not one of those  :o