Jump to content
5/0

Line Recovery (IPT) and Reel Capacity When Using Backing

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I posted a similar topic a couple months ago, but would like a little more help.

I have several old Curado CU200 bait casters that I would like to respool using a 12# mono backing and topping them off with 30-65 pound braid, 10-20 pound flouro, or copolymer lines depending on the application. I would like to get enough backing on to leave me with 80-100 yards of main line. The IPT recovery for these reels was not posted in the specs at that time, so I figured that with a full spool of 12# flouro my recovery would be about 26 IPT. I tried this when spooling 12# backing to 30# braid and ended up using way too much braid! Was this because IPT turn recovery changes significantly on an empty spool? If so, how much?

I may be getting to scientific here, but I would like to get the most out of my mainline spools, especially the braid.

 

Thanks....Joe 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Joe ~  IPT while an important factor of the reel - may not be of much use when attempting to respool the reel and end up with the desired backing to mainline ratio.

 To keep it as simple as possible - perhaps use the 1/3 - 2/3 deal.

Fill the spool 1/3 of the way (eye ball it) with your backing and the rest use your mainlin, whatever it is.

You'll most likely have a bit more mainline than you'll 'need' but once it gets wore a bit, that 2/3's length is usually still sufficient to where you can reverse it (end for end it) down to the backing placing 'the fresh' line back on top.

Can save a little $$ that way.

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

To keep it as simple as possible - perhaps use the 1/3 - 2/3 deal.

Fill the spool 1/3 of the way (eye ball it) with your backing and the rest use your mainlin, whatever it is.

You'll most likely have a bit more mainline than you'll 'need' but once it gets wore a bit, that 2/3's length is usually still sufficient to where you can reverse it (end for end it) down to the backing placing 'the fresh' line back on top.

Can save a little $$ that way.

Thank you A-Jay! That's what I'm beginning to realize! I'm making it too complicated. To reverse it, would you use a drill motor and old spool? I'm guessing that you would have to do this twice to get fresh line at the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 5/0 said:

Thank you A-Jay! That's what I'm beginning to realize! I'm making it too complicated. To reverse it, would you use a drill motor and old spool? I'm guessing that you would have to do this twice to get fresh line at the front.

You're Welcome - 

I have & do use a drill.  You need two 'empty' line spools and you have to run it twice to it set up correctly.

That's a long winter deal for me.

When it's not snowing, I just set the rig up outside, and take a walk.

Pull the line out across my yard, around a tree and then back to the rig.  

Cut it at the mainline to backing knot and retie it with the leading end of the 'old line'.

Then reel it back on and the 'fresh' line ends up on top ready to hammer your next big tank.

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have another reel with no line, you can use that reel to get the line out.

A-jay method is fool proof but still you have to know how many yards of such line will fit in your reel, you might get 150yds with 10lb but only 100 or less with 20lb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JustJames said:

If you have another reel with no line, you can use that reel to get the line out.

A-jay method is fool proof but still you have to know how many yards of such line will fit in your reel, you might get 150yds with 10lb but only 100 or less with 20lb.

Yup.

I have several of the same reels with the same line capacity and many extra spools.

It's easy to go reel to reel and then change out the spool.

Sort of like cheating.

:smiley:

A-Jay

912772747_ASparespools.jpg.19121ffe110ba257221bb161b274b701.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IPT is measured on a full spool depending on design an empty spool could be 1/2 or less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...