Hello All,

I am in need of help. I have tried time and time again and walked miles around Lake Chabot and unfortunately skunked every single time. I fish from the shore and have utilized my whole arsenal. From top water to senkos to spinners and chatter etc. Yet no bass at the end of my line. They are always jumping a few feet from me as if they are taunting me and I cant get them to bite. Also I have spent a lot of time scouting the Bay Area for a good bass spot but to my luck none that are promising. I am located in Union City and will be willing to drive an hour out. Any advice or tips on location would be of great help.

Thank You

Don't be discouraged, Chabot is an tough lake to fish. The bass don't have to eat often as they have all the planter trout they want. Try flipping a jig or creature bait in the tule berms next to shore. you might also try a 6 or 8" Huddleston swim bait. You won't get many bites but you have a chance of getting a big one. For other lakes, try the quarry lakes in Pleasanton or Shinn pond in Fremont. There's a lot of bass in Don Castro in Castro Valley too. Hope this helps

• Like 2

Hello @Kevin Tswb Yang, welcome to Bass Resource and the Forums! Kinda surprising you weren’t successful at Chabot, but Lake Elizabeth might be an option. Easy access to just walk around and chuck a spinnerbait if you’re looking to wet a line.  I know at one time it held bass and crappie....

• Like 1

Welcome to BR.

Lake Chabot is a trophy bass lake with Florida strain LMB that can be difficult to catch on artifical lures. Your standard bass lures may work at times when the bass are very active. Soft plastics in natural colors on presented light line ( 5 lb to 8 lb test spinning or 8 lb to 10 lb baitcasting) should improve your strike to man hours fished.

Not knowing what you have for tackle or your skill level I can't suggest anything spicific.

You have a few lakes nearby on the east bay foothills well within your drive time.

Let me know what tackle you use, including line.

Tom

• Like 1

18 hours ago, looking45 said:

Don't be discouraged, Chabot is an tough lake to fish. The bass don't have to eat often as they have all the planter trout they want. Try flipping a jig or creature bait in the tule berms next to shore. you might also try a 6 or 8" Huddleston swim bait. You won't get many bites but you have a chance of getting a big one. For other lakes, try the quarry lakes in Pleasanton or Shinn pond in Fremont. There's a lot of bass in Don Castro in Castro Valley too. Hope this helps

18 hours ago, looking45 said:

I caught a 3 pounder at Mowry well right next to Shinn pond and have seen bass swim past me at Shinn pond but no luck there either. I haven't been to Don Castro in years. Ill try it again. Any tips for Don Castro?

Me and my buddy just came from chabot on sat for the sunset/night bite

tough fishing - both artificial and nitecrawlers/chovies for cats.

only one fish caught, dink on senko gen pumpkin wacky drop shot

i missed a bite on black whopper plopper 9pm

water is really clear, I think naturals would work best. Previous Owner at hi tackle shop used way he had a lot of fun with bass on nitecrawlers under the docks so I dunno.

might check out shinn or others in area tonight and will report back