Sign in to follow this  
jcv

what makes a "bass boat"?

I'm currently fishing from a 15' center console, all fiberglass boat. It has a bow mounted TM (saltwtater series) and a pole seat up front. It doesn't draw much water and it makes a decent "bass boat". Plus, it's great for bringing out in the salt water to fish for those other bass  :)

I'm always looking at boats because my 6 year old son and I plan to do a lot of fishing and I'm not sure what type of fishing we'll end up leaning toward as our favorite. In a year or 2 I'd like a bigger boat and as of right now I can see that being a 22 foot center console. But...   who knows if that's what we'll want when the time comes? So, I want to educate myself on boats.

I'd like to know what makes a bass boat? Is it just that it can easily get into the shallows? I've been looking at aluminum boats and there are some nice deep v designs that have pole seats and bow mounted TM's, lots of storage and live wells. These seem like they would make great bass fishing boats and aslo be very versatile for other types of fishing as well.

I'd like to hear facts, opinions, whatever!

Thanks

Jay

You will not be surprised to learn that a bass boat is whatever you need/want it to be.  It all depends upon what bodies of water you want to fish and the weather conditions you expect to encounter.

what makes a "bass boat"?

Me at the helm  :)

Everybody else has already nailed it: a bass boat is whatever you use to catch 'em in!  Personally, I'd recommend just looking at the type of fishing you plan to do and then try to find something that does as good as possible at all styles.

I recently bought my first boat.  Nothing fancy, just an 18 foot aluminum job.  I am about 2 hours from the gulf and some great flats to saltwater fish.  I really toyed with the idea of getting a flats boat that I could also use for bass.  Obviously, a flats boat would get me as shallow as I want for bass and still get me onto the flats.  But, anytime you try to comprimise and do two jobs, you end up not quite being ableto do both jobs as well as you could do one.  

For me, I knew I wouldn't be getting to the bay nearly enough to justify it (even though I'd love the option) and being out in the local rivers with their occasional chop might also be questionable.

So, think about what you want and how you will use it the most.  Go with what you want and good luck!

Thank you all for the replies. What I really meant in my question was what makes an actual bass boat what it is. I imagine it is possible to fish for and to catch bass in most any boat but only certain boats are actually called "bass boats".

What are those features that make them unique and why are those features so great for bass fishing?

I just thought this would make an intersesting discussion.

Hmmm,...I would say the name comes primarily for the hunt it is designed for: Bass!

They usually have a shallow enough water draw to get into very shallow water.  At the same time, they have enough of a V hull to usually allow open water fishing (lake or river) provided it isn't anything crazy.  An outboard motor to get places, a trolling motor for precision control while fishing.  A livewell to keep your catch, and electronics to help locate it!

Modern boats have been modified to accomodate fishing styles, for example high front decks with chairs so that you can pitch and flip, both tactics that are usually synonomous (sp!?) with bass fishing.

Probably a lot more reasons....

I think the main thing most people associate with a "bass boat" is having a shallow draft combined with a large casting deck that is almost as high as the gunwales, giving you an elevated place to look down into the water and cast/flip/pitch, while maneuvering in very shallow water (usually with a trolling motor).  That being said, I've caught a lot of bass out of a lot of different boats and it's really up to you.  I have a 17' Bass Tracker that most folks would consider a "bass boat," but I've caught a whole lot more fish out of my kayak.

Thanks for the replies!

I've been looking at bass boats all week...  since I've decided that my son and I will really focus on freshwater bass fishing, (I originally bought my boat to chase stripers) I've been thinking about getting a specific bass boat. All the bass boats I've checked out have been really nice - and I've looked at everything from Trackers to Skeeters - but, for some reason they just don't push my buttons. When I see a nice, deep v aluminum boat or a nice fiberglass center console, it gets my blood pumping.....   that's just what I like. I'm fishing out of a Key West 15' center console right now and although it doesn't even compare to a nice bass boat, it's a killer flats boat for going after stripers now and then. I've decided to keep it...  which was a hard decision since my Yamaha outboard has been putting me through H E double hockey sticks all season! And it only has 40 hours on it!!!!   I'll get it ironed out...  the sucka is about brand new.

One "bass boat" feature that I really like is a fish finder at the bow. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Keep the comments coming!

Jay

I don't know about you guys but I currently fish out of a 14 Sea Doo Challenger jet drive.  It only draws about 8 inches of water and with the TM mount I made for the front and the removeable mount for my electronics it does all I need.  Plus you get an elevated casting deck on top of the engine hatch and the bow seat makes a great place to stand, cast and work the TM, it is a great boat for two guys to fish out of.

What makes a bass boat?    The ability to store your catch live for the weigh in.

Do all boats have TM's?  NO

Do all boats have elevated casting decks?  NO

Do all boats have depth finders?   NO  

I have seen some center consoles that make nice bass boats.

I fish on two trails that have a rule stating that,    Livewells must be factory installed!    

I have seen some center consoles that make nice bass boats.

I think mine does OK  :)

951548555_9a6e4740be_o.jpg

I don't know about you guys but I currently fish out of a 14 Sea Doo Challenger jet drive.  It only draws about 8 inches of water and with the TM mount I made for the front and the removeable mount for my electronics it does all I need.  Plus you get an elevated casting deck on top of the engine hatch and the bow seat makes a great place to stand, cast and work the TM, it is a great boat for two guys to fish out of.

That sounds like a nice set up! Do you have any pics?