Sign in to follow this  
Megastink

Best Fishfinder uner $120?

I have a 14' rowboat that im putting a deck on. I have a small trolling motor, and i want to buy a cheap fishfiner for it. I'm going to be fishing small lakes, most likely no deeper the 30-40 ft, so there is no need for a big expensive one. This boat if for fun-fishing, and im more interested in temp. and bottom contour. So, for under $120, what should i buy thats DECENT?

I have an Eagle Fishfinder 320 that I paid $120 +/- for. I like it, but it's my first one so I have little to compare it to.

I have an Eagle Cuda 168?  The Cuda series are all great and are work horses, nothing fancy, just get the job done.

Im from NE PA/SE NY area. We do't have Academy out here.

If you've got a Dicks nearby, you could try there.  You could also try the Cabelas - Hamburg, PA store.  Grab a couple friends and split the cost of gas.  Its getting tough out there :)

There is a Gander Mountain pretty close, ill try there...

Thanks for all of the advice!

The money that you spend for electronics is well worth it. I have used many lower priced units over the years but until I bought a more expensive model, I never realized how to use it because the definiition isn't high enough. This website give alot of very useful info that showed me how to actually read electronics and not just the depth. http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/Tips-and-Tutorials/Sonar-Tutorial/

I would look at units such as the Lowrance X52 which has enough resolution to produce a really usable picture of the bottom. Mine cost around $200, but the difference between the cuda 128 which I had on my last boat is 1000 fold better.

It is all about what you can get but my advice would be to save a little more a spend a little extra. If you keep it dry it will last forever so you can move it from boat to boat.

The money that you spend for electronics is well worth it. I have used many lower priced units over the years but until I bought a more expensive model, I never realized how to use it because the definiition isn't high enough. This website give alot of very useful info that showed me how to actually read electronics and not just the depth. http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/Tips-and-Tutorials/Sonar-Tutorial/

I would look at units such as the Lowrance X52 which has enough resolution to produce a really usable picture of the bottom. Mine cost around $200, but the difference between the cuda 128 which I had on my last boat is 1000 fold better.

It is all about what you can get but my advice would be to save a little more a spend a little extra. If you keep it dry it will last forever so you can move it from boat to boat.

Thanks GeneinTX. Great info there for someone just starting out with fish finders and great point about spending a little more knowing it's an investment that (if taken care of) will last a long time.

I just purchased an Eagle Fishmark 320 from wal-mart today. I paid $150 :) but everyone I have talked to who has used one or has been with someone who uses one said it is well worth the money.