Sign in to follow this  
OH-bass614

anothe good buy or not thread :(

well today while coming out of gander mtn after getting some pline cxx  and fat ika's i saw one of the employees beutiful nitro in the parking lot and the merc 225 almost made my eyes water..so later im thinking how could i get a boat like that.. and i thot well i plan on buying a 14 ft jon for 1000 + trolling motor ,outboar and overything else within a week  and thought well its close to the end of the season kinda and i could wait for somethin a lil better so i look at the nitro 640 or sumthin like that and talk to my dad about it (im 14 so let me say MY DAD is paying not me)and i try to persuade him..went okay.. but he said itd take sum saving but later i looked and a local boat store website and see a 2003 nitro for 1500 heres the link  sizzlemarine.com                      but the page doesnt have a url so u goto bass boats then nitro then the used 2003 nitro

let me know about some problems that might be with it and what ill need to purchase not included with the boat    i have NEVER owneda boat in my life so any help at all will be appreciated and thanks in advance

That seems pretty cheap.  get maintenance records, get it checked out by an outboard tech before u buy. and boats that have sat awhile will need some serious maintenance to the motor before u ride(in most cases).  do u homework and get what u want.  oh yeah and then post some pics.

Be sure to take a boating safety course.

Be sure Ohio allows 14 year olds to operate a power boat without taking and passing the boating safety course.

Check motor with compression check by an independent dealer.

Check boat hull for damage.

Have a service tech check it out in great detail.

Go to college; get the degree; get a career; and buy your own boat before you get married.  ;D

Slightly OT but...

stop sleeping during English class.

Long Mike may be along in a while to further expound. :D

haha i just read that post and thought the same.... it was late lol

but back on topic we went to the dealer to look at well all the boats and it was 14995 haha not 1499 but we saw a 2008 nitro 640 we liked but i think were gunna find a used boat for about 5000

You can get a decent bass boat for $5000, especially now.  As you were advised above, find a good mechanic and have him check the boat out for you before you buy.  There are a lot of things an inexperienced buyer will miss that a good mechanic won't.  Pay close attention to the soundness of the boat and the condition of the motor.  You can always clean/replace carpet and polish oxidized gelcoat.  Vinyl seats will usually clean up OK if not torn or cracked.  Keep your boat clean and covered once you get it.  Make sure your wheel bearings are in good shape and clean and repack them once a year.  

I think your dad should be delighted that you want a boat that you can fish from together.  Go with him as often as you can.