Sign in to follow this  
Jim McC

One man fishing boat

I'm looking to buy a used boat that's stable, lightweight, and easy to handle when I go out alone. I tried and ruled out a 12' V-hull and 12' flat bottom jon because they were too tippy. Both had floors 36" wide. I'm thinking about a mini pontoon 'Basshunter' type boat. It would only be used on a couple small lakes with an electric motor. Does anyone fish out of one of these, and are they pretty stable? I know I can't take it out if it's too choppy. If you use a trailer, what kind do you use? I do not want a canoe, kayak, or anything inflatable. Thanks.

I had a 13' crestliner shallow V and it was fine even had casting decks in it, also had a 14' Starcraft set up with decks and it was  rock solid stable 4 people could stand and cast with no problems. In my expierence if its just a bare bones boat they seam a little tippy ( because they are basically sittin on the water not in it) but add a little weight and get the boat in the water some and they are fine. Casting decks front and rear, 2 batteries for the trolling motor, tackle, home made livewell and cooler for drinks and she gets nice and stable.

Basically what it boils down to is what you feel safe in some people dont feel safe or stable on a aircraft carrier and the next feels stable standing in a 8ft jon boat. Find what u like and get it heck go 16ft if you have to.

I have the Pelican Predator 10E which I think is a pretty close match to the BassHunter. I don't feel comfortable standing in it when I'm the only one in the boat. It is definitely more stable with a buddy in the seated position. A little more data...when I stand, I raise the center of gravity a fair bit, I'm 275 or so. I do all my fishing seated. If you're young and lightweight, you will have much less of a problem.

I have a sun dolphin 9 foot mini pontoon.  I love it, although I would not try fishing standing up.  Its fine with one or two.  I carry mine in the back of the truck, its pretty easy to pull out and get down a bank alone, not as easy loading it, only about 100 pounds but bulky.  If I can drag it without tearing up the bottom its no problem.

There are several companies that make rigid pontoon boats similar to the inflatable ones. I think Hobie makes one that has 60" pontoons. Just something else to consider. They disassemble and assemble in a matter of minutes. Here is what I like to use but it is an inflatable which I keep inflated all the time and just "top off" the air pressure when I get to the lake.

post-10941-1301629121_thumb.jpg

popeye

I really like your pvc rod holder set up. I hope you dont have a patent yet because im making one tomorrow. I do have one  ? what is the black pipe in the front?

paragon

The black pipe is where I place my Fishing Buddy sonor. I take it out and lay it behind the seat when I launch or come in for a "nature break" because the transducer rod hangs lower than the pontube itself. I usually put the rod I'm using on it when I come in too. My rack is pretty simple and easy to make. I got the idea from a Float Tube fishing forum which has MANY different pictures of racks the members have fabricated. Here's the link:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=81

You'd be amazed what some PVC framing can do for a float tube.  The float tube community is definitely an ingenious bunch.  HawgHunter has a full blown digital recording studio hooked up to his!!

I just bought a decent 9' Pond Prowler off of craigslist for $400.00 with trolling motor, battery, oar but only one seat. It runs great, pretty stable but I haven't tried standing up fishing and probably won't. I'm only 204 lbs but I cast far enough from a sitting position so no need to risk tipping and losing my gear.

Like Nickman said, they can be bulky to load back into a truck bed. I'm trying to engineer some way to be able to do this easier.

Good luck and check your city's craigslist but give the boat a good once over. The plug the seller gave me didn't fit so I'm having to doctor it up some.  >:)

I have a KL industries Waterquest 11.3 which has two raised seats and all the goodies Livewell,front and rear motor mounts and it is as solid as a rock with me standing at 200# and little lady at 119#. Max carrying weight as tag is 600#.I don't run a gas motor but they claim it can handle 15H.P. Google KL Industries to see there full line. Good Luck 8-)

I have a KL industries Waterquest 11.3 which has two raised seats and all the goodies Livewell,front and rear motor mounts and it is as solid as a rock with me standing at 200# and little lady at 119#. Max carrying weight as tag is 600#.I don't run a gas motor but they claim it can handle 15H.P. Google KL Industries to see there full line. Good Luck 8-)

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!