Sign in to follow this  
dickenscpa

Transducer Wire

Been hesitating asking this for a bit now. I bought a new to me boat a coupla months ago, a little over 20 years newer than my previous boat. I could take the old boat apart and put it back, but I've had a learning curve on the new one.

Anyways, the boat has a F/F in the console. I kept one of the F/F's off my old boat and it uses the same plug, tranducer and so forth as the one in the console. I want to use my other F/F on the front deck. I thought about buying some type of contraption to make both work off the same transducer, if such a thing exists.

My other option was to mount the other transducer on my TM. This seemed harder but more advantageous. I started fiddling with it and ran into this problem. My batteries are in the back. I installed the transducer onto the TM but only had maybe 2.5-3' of lead to a power source. Are they all like this and you have to buy some type of extension to run to the back?

TIA

Brad

Splice in new wires and continue on your way  ;)

I assume that you are talking about the power leads leading from your F/F.  Go to Radio Shack and buy the length of speaker wire you need to reach back to the battery. 14 or 16 gauge stranded wire will work fine.

If your fishfinder is Lowrance they have a switch for transducer 1 and 2, look at the color of your plugs and see if they are available.

Garnet

I assume that you are talking about the power leads leading from your F/F. Go to Radio Shack and buy the length of speaker wire you need to reach back to the battery. 14 or 16 gauge stranded wire will work fine.

You are correct. I have a coupla thousand feet of 14g from wiring houses. Would I be able to just pull the bare ground out of the romex covering and use that covering as extra protection while pulling it thru the boat? That's also assuming I can use house wiring. I would think 14g copper wire is just 14g copper wire?

If your fishfinder is Lowrance they have a switch for transducer 1 and 2, look at the color of your plugs and see if they are available.

Garnet

Actually both of mine are Eagles, which I think is under the same corp as Lowrance. You wouldn't happen to know if they make a cord to just tap off the console unit? I don't mind using one transducer to run two sonars. It's a pain to be fishing off the front deck and have to get up and walk to the back to see your sonar in the console.

Both Eagles do use the exact same plug in the back.

Dickenscpa.  You are correct 14 gauge is 14 gauge, whether stranded or solid wire.  Obviously, the stranded wire is much more flexible, but if you want to use Romex be careful in attaching it to your existing power leads.  I suspect that they will be no more than 18 or even 20 gauge.  I get a little antsy when trying to attach braided wire to solid core.

Dickenscpa. You are correct 14 gauge is 14 gauge, whether stranded or solid wire. Obviously, the stranded wire is much more flexible, but if you want to use Romex be careful in attaching it to your existing power leads. I suspect that they will be no more than 18 or even 20 gauge. I get a little antsy when trying to attach braided wire to solid core.

Thanks for the heads up! Will do.

Brad

This switch is a splitter 1 transducer and both your unit go to it you just flip. Check Eagle web page.

Garnet

Might just go this route and save some aggravation. Might save some battery life too. 'Preciate it!

Brad

If you do slice please solder and heatshrink. One thing i cannot stand when im looking at other's handy work is the shortcuts they take. If the eagle on does not work if you are somewhat handy you can get a a/b switch and some waterproof mulex(sp) connectors and wire it yourself and when up front just switch it. so it will kill power to the one you are not using.

If you do slice please solder and heatshrink. One thing i cannot stand when im looking at other's handy work is the shortcuts they take. If the eagle on does not work if you are somewhat handy you can get a a/b switch and some waterproof mulex(sp) connectors and wire it yourself and when up front just switch it. so it will kill power to the one you are not using.

No doubt. My Dad is an electric & plumbing contractor and although I went to college to be an accountant, he worked my tail off from the time I could walk 'til I graduated college. He made me sit for the electric and plumbing exam as "something to fall back on." I didn't want to but thank him profusely today. I got burnt out on accounting and took a year off and what did I fall back on? I can do anything on a house but lay carpet. I can roof OK, but you may not want me to do it if there's a lot of hips and gables. LOL!

One thing my Dad was dogmatic about was neatness of the wiring, especially in a breaker box. He used to say if you did mess up, it's so much easier to trace. He used to also say that messy wiring might work fine, but it just "looks" like you don't know what you're doing.

Don't know why I threw all that out there, but like you, messy wiring looks like crap to me.