Sign in to follow this  
tand

New Decks in 14' Jon Boat! **videos added**

Well after seeing some other great boats and falling off my small casting spot in the front it was time to make a change to the old jon!

An empty 1958 Orlando Clipper

12-18-08004.jpg

I added 2x2 untreated pine coated them in water sealer, I used 3/4 in plywood on top of that and coated it in lowes carpet using rubber cement, total cost ended up being around 50$ (but we had the plywood laying around, otherwise I would have gone for 1/2 in and put 2 more supports up front.) Another thing to mention would be that I didnt screw it into the boat, I basically wedged it in so the 2x2's going across the boat are holding the decks in place. I may end up adding a couple of screws into the boat if it needs it but the decks are wedged in tight, so hopefully I wont need to! ;) The front deck is about 5' long and the back deck is just shy of 2 feet wide. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions just ask!

12-18-08005.jpg

12-18-08003.jpg

12-18-08001.jpg

treysboat004.jpg

treysboat005.jpg

treysboat008.jpg

treysboat011.jpg

treysboat015.jpg

treysboat012.jpg

treysboat016.jpg

treysboat017.jpg

treysboat019.jpg

treysboat027.jpg

treysboat028.jpg

Thanks guys!  It really wasnt as hard as I thought it was going to be, but I really didnt do anything special just basic!  Ill let you know how it goes tomorrow for the maiden voyage of the new decks!

Hey Tand

was wondering how you mounted the wood on the front, the ones that are laid against the bench seat.  I want to do something similar but not sure how to fasten the wood against the bench, my bench is enclosed all the way around so I cant get in there to put a nut on the bolt.

The way that I did it was just wedge it in tightly (see picture 2; the boards that go the width of the seat)without putting any screws into it, but I havent got a chance to try it out yet so I may end up putting a sheet metal screw or figuring out a way to put in a nut and bolt.  Hopefully I wont have to do that but im worried about trailering... we will see.

paintpicture.jpg

The red boards are under the blue boards and the blue boards are sitting on the bench seats.  The red boards are the ones that are wedged between the seats and held to the blue boards with screws.  

Not sure if I cleared that up let me know if you would like me to try that again! :-/

Perfect thanks so much I think I will do something similar, I think I will use a bigger support beam and lighter plywood, from the looks of you in the picture I have about a 100 more pounds on ya.  Thanks for the info I will post some pics when I start on it.  ;)

What's the bottom width of that boat?  I did my 36" bottom width, 12 footer and there's no way I'd raise the deck that high.  

I don't know about width, but I've fished with tand many times and this boat is sturdy.  Thick aluminum and a deep V, we always fish standing on the benches and haven't gone over yet.  ;)

Perfect thanks so much I think I will do something similar, I think I will use a bigger support beam and lighter plywood, from the looks of you in the picture I have about a 100 more pounds on ya. Thanks for the info I will post some pics when I start on it. ;)

Ya I checked it with my brother on top of the front deck and no bowing at all and he weighs like 230, so its sturdy!  I still think I might add two more supports in there but well see!

GOING FISHING NOW!

What's the bottom width of that boat? I did my 36" bottom width, 12 footer and there's no way I'd raise the deck that high.

across the back of the transom (probably not the widest point) its 45 inches

Two videos to show the stability:

1st with me 140 lbs

th_DSCN0224.jpg

2nd My brother 230 lbs

th_DSCN0225.jpg

A couple of pics of the fish today

DSCN0226.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

18.5 in

I only caught a couple of dinks   >;)  oh well!

Ya I dont wanna give away any secrets but not many people actually fish there...probably discouraged by the amount of lilly's, but not me!! ;D

nice looking Bass Hunter you have there.

an as for the fishing spot, well what can I say.... Man oh Man am I jealous, it Dec an you are out fishing in shorts an a t-shirt.

It's like 20 something overe here an I have yet to talk myself into going jigging.

Good job on the boat hope it brings you many outings of Happiness.

memo

Rose your right about me not being able to move the boat, but did you see my brother on there....still stable!!  You need to get down here so we can fish!!!