Sign in to follow this  
CWB

Deep Cycle Batteries

Not sure if this is right place but here goes.

I have used wet cell deep cycle batteries for my trolling motor for years with varying. I've done some research on AGm type and am leaning that way for my next battery. Have read some reviews and Optima seems to be the biggest seller but a 50/50 chance you can get a stinker. Cabelas house brand got good reviews on their site.

Trojan seem great but not easy to find.

Any thoughts or personal reviews on AGM type?

[movedhere] Fishing Tackle [move by] roadwarrior.

I bought my Trojan wet cell batteries from Batteries Plus.  They might have to order the AGM batteries as they are not as commonly used as wet cell.  

I would strongly suggest anyone wanting to use AGM batteries do their homework on charging requirements or you're gonna pay a whole lot more for a battery that's not going to last any longer than an el chepo battery and you average charger is not going to charge them properly.  

This is from one battery manufactor

"Constant under or overcharging will damage any

battery and shorten its life! Use a good constant potential, voltage-regulated charger. For 12-volt batteries, charge to at least 14.4 volts but no more than 14.6 volts at 68°F (20°C). The

open circuit voltage of a fully charged 12-volt AGM battery is 12.8V. However, as the battery charges, the building internal pressure (voltage) causes resistance to the charge. Therefore, the

on-charge voltage must be higher (at least 14.2V for 12-volt) to overcome this internal pressure (voltage) during charging."