Sign in to follow this  
jimmieO

The "no haggle price" topic

Do you all believe in these.  A lot of boat dealers (especially tracker) and even car dealers display these no haggle prices on their websites. Has anyone had any experience of being able to negotiate a deal under this "no haggle price?" To me it seems like any other gimmick? What do you all think? Are these really good deals?

I honestly do not think these are actually good deals whatsoever. Sticker price is still beatable. I would never buy a boat/car/truck for the sticker price. That is why you need to learn some negotiating skills prior to your purchase. You need to go into the sale knowing exactly what you want, the prices you know for a fact other dealers have sold them for and what you are willing to pay.  ;)

Given the economy right now, I can't imagine any boat dealer that wouldn't explore haggling on a no haggle boat if you show true interest and have the money to buy.  

If you fall for it, it's great for the dealer. My wife's 2008 Toyota Highlander was purchased from a dealer that had "No Haggle Pricing".

They never haggled, I promised him I was buying a car that day and offered him three thousand less than his no haggle price, told him if he couldn't do that deal, don't come back with a counter offer because I would be going elsewhere before he got the words out of his mouth. He came back about 10 minutes later, shook my hand and thanked me for buying her car from him.

^^^^  This is the way I handle car/boat deals also.  If I plan on offering say $9500 I tell them that is what I'm paying and that has to include everything (tax, tag, processing fees, etc.).   I absolutely REFUSE to pay a processing fee!  That just burns me up!

Yep. The internet has become such a valuable tool.  When I bought my boat, and the last 2 cars we've purchased, we already knew exactly what we wanted and exactly what we were willing to pay before we even went to the dealer. Its an Xpress and at the time they weren't doing the whole no haggle thing, but I can go to the website right now and get an out the door, no haggle price on a tracker pro team 190, or a Z7 Nitro.

I don't understand no haggle. I write the contract with lots of details and tell buddy the salesman don't be gone long, when he leave I wait about 4-5 minutes write my name and number on a paper and leave. 90% of the time you never make it to the door and the power positions mine.

Garnet

So has anyone haggled the price of a tracker boat?

That's what we need to know!

Tracker and Nitro are the only brands that I know have all their "prices" right out there on the web. Who has bought one, and did you get a better deal than what was listed on the web?

That's what we need to know!

Tracker and Nitro are the only brands that I know have all their "prices" right out there on the web. Who has bought one, and did you get a better deal than what was listed on the web?

I am interested in the answer to this also as I am going to purchase a tracker this spring

I don't understand no haggle. I write the contract with lots of details and tell buddy the salesman don't be gone long, when he leave I wait about 4-5 minutes write my name and number on a paper and leave. 90% of the time you never make it to the door and the power positions mine.

Garnet

I like the way you deal.... when I go to buy another boat, are you gonna come up here and get a a great deal??? HAHAHA ;D ;D ;D ;D

I bought a Tracker this past spring. Prior to getting it I went to 4 different dealerships, about 125 miles away from each other, and called a couple of other places. All of the places I checked were adamant about refusing to do any haggling with the price. The cost of the boat/trailer was the sticker price plus taxes.

I certainly don't consider myself a lawyer with excellent negotiating skills, but each place I walked into I made it clear how much I was willing to put out for a boat, with cash in hand. I made my offer based off of what I know a few guys have paid locally for similarly equipped rigs.

At every place the salesman laughed me out the door. I haven't had a problem going into a car dealership and saying what I want, and what I'm willing to pay. The instant they start to balk I walk out the door. Usually, within a couple days they'll call back ready to jump through hoops to meet your original demands. Especially on this economy, as another poster mentioned.

But, at least at the dealerships I went to all I got was, "this is the price, we don't negotiate the price any different than that." Even the salesmen were pretty detached. I didn't have any issues with salesmen trying to convince me to upgrade one component or another. It was funny, because 2 of the dealerships were Tracker Marine at Bass Pro and 2 others were older family run stores. Each place the salesmen didn't even act like typical salesmen. They asked what I was interested in, showed what they had, explained any features I wasn't familiar with, and pointed at a price. So, if they are haggling down from their sticker price their salesmen are doing a good job in my neck of the woods! ;D

SnowBass23, I purchased a 2009 Tracker about 3 weeks ago. The price was the same at all the Bass Pro locations and other Tracker dealers. The only cheaper price was a last years model of any they had in stock. The listed prices do not include "dealer prep and destination charges" which is about $950, then you add the taxes.

In the new catalog, some 2009 models are reduced in price until April.

They must be embarrased about the price of the Z9 as it is not shown in the catalog.

SnowBass23, I purchased a 2009 Tracker about 3 weeks ago. The price was the same at all the Bass Pro locations and other Tracker dealers. The only cheaper price was a last years model of any they had in stock. The listed prices do not include "dealer prep and destination charges" which is about $950, then you add the taxes.

In the new catalog, some 2009 models are reduced in price until April.

They must be embarrased about the price of the Z9 as it is not shown in the catalog.

I forgot to mention the $925 dealer prep charge.

When I bought my new Tracker last year, I contacted 4 dealers and they were all the same price.

None of them would budge on the pricing because it is set by Tracker no matter where you purchase the boat.

I did wait until they were offering BPS gift cards with the purchase, but they all offered those cards at the same time.

The only way to get the best deal is to buy one close to home so you don't use as much gas towing it home. ;)

Brute

I did wait until they were offering BPS gift cards with the purchase, but they all offered those cards at the same time.

I screwed myself over that one, and my wife still holds it against me.  Last year their promotion was a $750 BPS card if you bought it before Apr 15.  It was the weekend before, and I still thought I could talk the dealer down.  So I left, and when I finally settled on a boat a few weeks later it was after the 15th, and they reduced the card to $400.  Oh well...   :;)

I know from buying many things that if there is a company set price and the salesman sells it for even a little less the dealer can lose their license  to sell that company's products.