Info wanted on a piece of history??

slonezp

• Super User

I'm going thru fishing tackle I inherited from my deceased aunt. Found a rod carved from a solid piece of wood. My aunt traveled the world but always lived in Chicago. The only info on google for a Henry A Larsen is from the Canadian Coast Guard. I'm guessing this wasn't him. The rod is not round, it has 6 flat sides. It is tapered. Doesn't appear to be hand carved, but definitely hand made. About 5ft long and reminiscent of a salmon snagging rod.

rod.PNG.672bba92bb52d36bcde3afc3253cdfd2.PNGrod1.PNG.76d87a64b08da3a2e7af5baa101352ab.PNGrod2.thumb.PNG.e28d695443143ad62cea46c2dbdb7945.PNG

• Super User

More than likely, it’s actually 6 pieces of wood glued, then tied together. At least that’s the way 6 sided, bamboo fly rods are made. It’s probably bamboo also. Do a search of places that do bamboo rod building. Maybe they might know something that could help.

• Like 3

• Super User

Just guessing, but I dug around a little and found one other person who had owned such a rod who was from the Milwaukee area. Digging through some old records, there was a Henry A Larsen of Hayward WI that worked with the fisheries division in WI back in the 1930s and also ran a trout pond that was dated 1940. Might be your guy. ALso found this:

The Fishing Pole signed Henry Larsen, with Reel, Pflueger Supreme has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $150.00-200.00 if sold at an auction ( like Ebay ) it would sell for a little less, at around $140.00-165.00, if this were sold in a High End Shop in a larger city it would sell for $200.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $200.00 

• Like 3

• Super User

Appreciate the responses. The pics don't do justice. The rod is really cool looking and, once restored, will be on my trophy wall.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have one of those poles..a129a 6' wooden. Cork grips. 

On 4/2/2020 at 4:48 PM, slonezp said:

I'm going thru fishing tackle I inherited from my deceased aunt. Found a rod carved from a solid piece of wood. My aunt traveled the world but always lived in Chicago. The only info on google for a Henry A Larsen is from the Canadian Coast Guard. I'm guessing this wasn't him. The rod is not round, it has 6 flat sides. It is tapered. Doesn't appear to be hand carved, but definitely hand made. About 5ft long and reminiscent of a salmon snagging rod.

rod.PNG.672bba92bb52d36bcde3afc3253cdfd2.PNGrod1.PNG.76d87a64b08da3a2e7af5baa101352ab.PNGrod2.thumb.PNG.e28d695443143ad62cea46c2dbdb7945.PNG

I have the a129a 6' one. Flat sided..same one?

I can't upload the picture. But I found a H A Larsen, 6' a129a wood pole. Hex sided. I'm curious as well. I did read some of the replies. I'm not far from Hayward WI. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super User

I have a split bamboo heavy action casting rod . Its about 5 foot long and resembles a pool cue .It belonged to my grandpa and was in pieces . I had it glued back together , new modern eyes put on it , cleaned and varnished . It now hangs on a wall . Its the only thing of his I own . 

• Like 1