Sign in to follow this  
Craw

Lipless Cranks

I ran into a deal on these baits today and bought a few Yozuri Rattl'n Vibes and a Lucky Craft LVR D-7. I'm curious if these will be effective through the winter months. I live in Va. so I'm talking about water temps in the upper 30s and low 40s. I'm guessing that these baits will have to stay in the tackle bag until spring. What do you think?

I think I'd like to get a deal on those.  The Rattl'n Vibe is my favorite lipless.

In cold water, I pretty much stick to lipless CBs, jigs, plastics and jerkbaits.  So yeah, I think they should work.  BTW, don't hesitate to burn it!  In my experience, lipless CBs are the exception to the rule slower in winter.

Tie one on and let us know how you do.In the past I have caught fish on traps back in the creeks right after ice out, but the water was warming up, not cooling off.I am not sure if it had anything to do with it , or not.I know the one day the surface water was 34 degrees,nearly drowned as I fell in when my boat hit something in the creek channel.Luckily there was another boat near by to pull me out. Never go fishing alone when the water is that cold, even if you are a good swimmer, you can't swim with all of the heavy clothing you will have in order to fish comfortably. ;)  Ivan

I bought several L/C LVR's D-7's & Mini's yesterday. I did not run into a deal & was hoping I had a check today. They work this time of year so use them.

they are great reaction baits for cold water bass.one good way to use them is ,shad die in the winter and they go to the bottom and squirm around untill they do.let it settle to the bottom and dead stick it,let it set for up to a min. then jerk it strait up and let it settle to the bottom again.sometimes they dont want it jerked just barely raise it off the bottom and let it set for a min. more.

Craw. I reside in S.E. VA and for the last couple of weeks with the cold wx and water (42/43 dgs), the only lure that I have been able to catch a bass on is a lipless cb (rattletrap). Couple good slaps on a #5 Shad Rap but no hookups. I fish it s l o w right off the bottom.

Bob