Tatula 200 or Curado k for topwater and swimbaits under 2oz?

Go to solution Solved by Hammer 4,

Something is definitely weird. 

1) They show the capacity of the Tatula 300 with 12 lb and 14 lb mono, but nothing more, and then show the capacity for 30, 40, and 50 lb braid. Why would Daiwa choose to tell me that the Tatula 300 will hold 260 yards of #12 mono on a reel built the way it is and features a 287. lb drag, but not tell me how much 17 or 20 lb mono it will hold? 

2) Maybe this shows my ignorance, but are there a lot of potential buyers that need 780 feet of line storage on a freshwater reel? More buyers than will be using 17-20 lb mono?

3) It APPEARS that someone hasn't really taken the time to actually fill their reels with the line they are stating capacities for. Example: How does the Tatula 300 hold exactly twice as much 12 lb mono as the Curado, yet only 8% (15 yards) more 50 lb braid?

4) Is it possible that the Curado 40 lb braid capacity is only 5 yards different than it's 50 lb braid capacity? Not promising I know the answer, but it is certainly . . . . odd. . . to me.

Swimbait Reel Camparison_20220117_Discrepancy_001.jpg

• Like 1

Daiwa US is probably just wrong again.  The spool of the tatula 200 is the same dimensions as an old lexa 300 which was rated at 240 yards of 40 lb samurai braid.  I think daiwa US just is bad at conveying information from Japan and get things wrong.  They still list the coastal 200 as magZ which is wrong.  It's a blue tatula 200.

• Like 1

So just to piggyback on this thread, I too am looking to get a frog/small swimbait reel to go onto my 735C Fury. I'm probably going use an S Waver 120 ish lures. I'm just getting into swimbaits, bank/kayak fisherman. Frogs would be the primary purpose  but I also like the idea of having something to fall back on when I use the 120. 

• Super User
3 minutes ago, lunkerboss923 said:

So just to piggyback on this thread, I too am looking to get a frog/small swimbait reel to go onto my 735C Fury.

The Tat150 will do just fine then. Great reel. Just got another one.

1081262599_1a1aAAN2-Copy.jpg.fb8f4b22379b5a775b27e30eb6037ab9.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhishLI said:

The Tat150 will do just fine then. Great reel. Just got another one.

1081262599_1a1aAAN2-Copy.jpg.fb8f4b22379b5a775b27e30eb6037ab9.jpg

What gear ratio? People say the 6 is the deal, but if it's a frog reel, don't you want a faster retrieve? Is a 7 serviceable for swimbaits? 

• Super User
Just now, lunkerboss923 said:

Is a 7 serviceable for swimbaits? 

Yes. I use a 7spd Catalina TW/Zillion HD for these purposes and will be doing the same with the 150 using lighter swimbaits. I seem to catch fish just fine with it. Understand that a small swimbait/glide isn't a necessarily a chuck and wind bait. You're often varying your retrieve rate with short stops, longer pauses, and twitches mixed in. 120 size glides aren't high resistance baits anyway and crank down wakes like a Shellcracker G2 are handled just fine with a 7 spd. Doesn't bother me in the least, and I have no issue with slowing down my retrieve with baits where I've observed that I need to.

3 minutes ago, PhishLI said:

Yes. I use a 7spd Catalina TW/Zillion HD for these purposes and will be doing the same with the 150 using lighter swimbaits. I seem to catch fish just fine with it. Understand that a small swimbait/glide isn't a necessarily a chuck and wind bait. You're often varying your retrieve rate with short stops, longer pauses, and twitches mixed in. 120 size glides aren't high resistance baits anyway and crank down wakes like a Shellcracker G2 are handled just fine with a 7 spd. Doesn't bother me in the least, and I have no issue with slowing down my retrieve with baits where I've observed that I need to.

Thank you so much! I've watched Tim Little and Matt Allen comment about slow retrieve and then a quick jerk of the reel to excite followers. 

• Super User
3 hours ago, lunkerboss923 said:

Thank you so much!

You're welcome.

4 hours ago, lunkerboss923 said:

Frogs would be the primary purpose but I also like the idea of having something to fall back on when I use the 120. 

Then the 150 will do the job well, especially if you intend to throw frogs weighing down to a 1/2oz. The 200 struggles with lighter frogs. Tie on a leader for the small swimbaits you intend to throw occasionally, and you'll get by just fine with the 150, or just buy a spare spool so you can swap out the braid spool on the spot. They're about $45.

• Super User
3 hours ago, PhishLI said:

The 200 struggles with lighter frogs

Who throws lighter frogs? There is only one frog on the market as far as I am concerned. 

Scum Frog Trophy Series 

77B16121-BEAA-44CF-9DB0-0EB31CECBB16.jpeg

• Super User

my curadoK is my (one of my) oldest Shimano reels.  just casting it yesterday and it was bombing them in the wind.

that thing is a quiet unsung hero in my kayak.  my MGL150's get more game time, but the K is no slouch.  not by a long shot. I throw topwater with it.  

3 hours ago, LrgmouthShad said:

Who throws lighter frogs? There is only one frog on the market as far as I am concerned. 

Scum Frog Trophy Series 

77B16121-BEAA-44CF-9DB0-0EB31CECBB16.jpeg

I own both the 200 and 150 and can tell you without a doubt the 150 will outcast the 200 with frogs.  The 200 gave up the centrifugal magZ brake to have a deeper spool.  That sacrifice means it gives up casting distance with compact baits under 1 ounce for additional line capacity and control to throw big baits.

• Like 2

• Super User
1 minute ago, Tatulatard said:

I own both the 200 and 150 and can tell you without a doubt the 150 will outcast the 200 with frogs.  The 200 gave up the centrifugal magZ brake to have a deeper spool.  That sacrifice means it gives up casting distance with compact baits under 1 ounce for additional line capacity and control to throw big baits.

Sure. Don’t doubt it. I want 100yds of 65lb braid on my reel and only the 200 does that

1 hour ago, LrgmouthShad said:

Sure. Don’t doubt it. I want 100yds of 65lb braid on my reel and only the 200 does that

You can easily get 100 yards of a 65# braid on a tatula 150.  Daiwa screwed up the braid ratings on the tatula 150 and 200.  They are both severely underrated.  This is evident when comparing them to the same diameter mono line.  The original tatula which is what the tatula 150 is was rated at 14/120 or 16/100.  Assuming that 14lbs to 16 lbs mono is equal to a 65# braid depending on the brand then it will hold 100 yards of 65# braid assuming daiwa's mono line cap ratings are to be believed. 

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwatatula.html

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 11:30 AM, Big Hands said:

They show the capacity of the Tatula 300 with 12 lb and 14 lb mono, but nothing more, and then show the capacity for 30, 40, and 50 lb braid. Why would Daiwa choose to tell me that the Tatula 300 will hold 260 yards of #12 mono on a reel built the way it is and features a 287. lb drag, but not tell me how much 17 or 20 lb mono it will hold? 

I belive the reason the list such small mono diameters rather than what is applicable to the reel is that they have painted themselves into a corner, multiple times.  Let me explain.

The tatula 150 is the old tatula 100 and the tatula 200 is the old tatula 150.  They are the sames reels.  I own both from each batch.  A 2013 tatula 100 is the same reel but with a 90mm handle and a 2023 tatula 150.  The same applies to the old 150 and current 200.  

The tatula 100/150 story: They made the original tatula 100 with a wide 34 mil spool that gave it extra capacity over other more narrow 34 mil spools of the time.  This wide reel lead to a lot of complaints so they created the narrow frame version as the 2016 tatula ct.  Later still they created an even more new tatula that used the ct's narrow 34 mil spool.  They called this one the tatula 100.  Daiwa also decided to dust off the old tatula 100 by giving it a longer handle and matte black finish.  They decided to call it a tatula 150 HD since it has a wider spool than the current 100 and ct reels.  They carefully chose line diameters to play off of this 150 rating which is why they use the diameters they do to get a yard capacity numbers. 

The tatula 150/200 story: this one is even more weird.  1st off they take the 2013 tatula 100 and punch out the frame to a 36 mil spool then remove the magZ and take the arbor all the way down to the spool shaft.  This produces a spool that is identical in dimensions to a lexa 300 spool yet they only called it a 150 HD at the time.  Later then these old reels were brought back they only bumped up the number to a 200 even though it has been a tatula 300 the whole time.  

I look at the reels like this.  

Tatula 70/80

Tatula 100

Tatula CT

Tatula 150

Tatula 200 (old wide small diamter spool 300)

Tatula 300 (modern narrow tall spool 300) 

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdtatulahd.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tatulatard said:

I belive the reason the list such small mono diameters rather than what is applicable to the reel is that they have painted themselves into a corner, multiple times.  Let me explain.

The tatula 150 is the old tatula 100 and the tatula 200 is the old tatula 150.  They are the sames reels.  I own both from each batch.  A 2013 tatula 100 is the same reel but with a 90mm handle and a 2023 tatula 150.  The same applies to the old 150 and current 200.  

The tatula 100/150 story: They made the original tatula 100 with a wide 34 mil spool that gave it extra capacity over other more narrow 34 mil spools of the time.  This wide reel lead to a lot of complaints so they created the narrow frame version as the 2016 tatula ct.  Later still they created an even more new tatula that used the ct's narrow 34 mil spool.  They called this one the tatula 100.  Daiwa also decided to dust off the old tatula 100 buy giving it a longer handle and matte black finish.  They decided to call it a tatula 150 HD since it has a wider spool than the current 100 and ct reels.  They carefully chose line diameters to play off of this 150 rating which is why they use the diameters they do to get a yard capacity numbers. 

The tatula 150/200 story: this one is even more weird.  1st off they take the 2013 tatula 100 and punch out the frame to a 36 mil spool then remove the magZ and take the arbor all the way down to the spool shaft.  This produces a spool that is identical in dimensions to a lexa 300 spool yet they only called it a 150 HD at the time.  Later then these old reels were brought back they only bumped up the number to a 200 even though it has been a tatula 300 the whole time.  

I look at the reels like this.  

Tatula 70/80

Tatula 100

Tatula CT

Tatula 150

Tatula 200 (old wide small diamter spool 300)

Tatula 300 (modern narrow tall spool 300) 

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdtatulahd.html

Great explanation. You might be afflicted with Tatulaphilia, which would make you a Tatulaphile ;~)

• Like 1

• Super User
3 hours ago, LrgmouthShad said:

I want 100yds of 65lb braid

I've been using 50lb Daiwa J8 for the past 5 years and still have every frog I've bought over the same time span. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 5:52 PM, Derek1 said:

The braid specs must be off on the tat 200. By a bunch I would think. 

I now have both a Tatula 200H and a Curado 200K in my possession. To my naked eye, the spool sizes look to be pretty much the same size. The spool diameter is around 1-5/16" when filled with line with the Tatula being ever so slightly larger (measuring the line), and the width is very close to 1" with the Curado being slightly wider. The biggest difference is in the arbor size. The Curado definitely has a thicker arbor diameter which would account for a bit more line capacity, but not to the extent that the supposed specs suggest. If I had to bet on one being closer to reality than the other, I'd be betting on the Shimano Curado 200k specs being more accurate. 

I am OK with the line capacity of the Tatula 200H. I was hoping the reel would be significantly, physically. . . . beefier. . . . for durability reasons. The larger arbor diameter on the Curado 200K would seem to be a concession for reducing the rotating weight of the spool.

The arbor diameters of the Tranx and Curado 300's is similarly thicker than the Tatula 300H too. So, I suspect any noticeably larger line capacity on the Tatula 300 is a result of the arbor size more than anything else.

So, to sum up my feelings relative to the OP's question, they should both be excellent for chunking around lures that weigh 2 ounces or less. I think they are well suited for using 15 lb line, with the Tatula being better suited if you wanted to use 20 lb line purely due to the line capacity being larger with the narrower spool arbor. Use 15 lb line on either and they will cast a looooong ways for for that size baits with the appropriate rod. The lack of a magnetic cast control on the Curado did not hinder it's casting distance with a 2-1/8 ounce Megabass M7.5 at all. I could pretty much cast it as far as I wanted and still had a very reasonable amount of line left should I hook up at the far end of the cast. Hard to make a poor choice here unless you don't care for a particular feature of something like a T-Wing or lack of magnetic cast control.

• Super User
49 minutes ago, Big Hands said:

To my naked eye, the spool sizes look to be pretty much the same size.

The Tat 200's spool is taller at 38mm O.D. and wider at 28mm. The K's is 34mm x 25mm. It holds way more line than the K. The K is much closer to the Tat 150 in line cap.

58 minutes ago, Big Hands said:

I was hoping the reel would be significantly, physically. . . . beefier. . . . for durability reasons.

The aluminum handle side-plate makes it pretty beefy. No unfortunate coarse thread screws into a plastic side plate like the K.

• Super User
1 hour ago, Big Hands said:

So, to sum up my feelings relative to the OP's question, they should both be excellent for chunking around lures that weigh 2 ounces or less.

Both aren't so hot with wind catching baits at or below a half ounce. The 200s fully loaded spool is quite heavy. Try bombing a flat sided crank on a windy day with a K. Not fun. The 150 with Magforce Z is superior here, IMO.

2 hours ago, PhishLI said:

Both aren't so hot with wind catching baits at or below a half ounce. The 200s fully loaded spool is quite heavy. Try bombing a flat sided crank on a windy day with a K. Not fun. The 150 with Magforce Z is superior here, IMO.

If that's what they want to do, they should get the right reel for that.

2 hours ago, PhishLI said:

The Tat 200's spool is taller at 38mm O.D. and wider at 28mm. The K's is 34mm x 25mm. It holds way more line than the K. The K is much closer to the Tat 150 in line cap.

I'm looking at them side by side with a dial caliper. Y'all can decide for yourself where the truth resides.

IMG_1040b.jpg

IMG_1041b.jpg

IMG_1045b.jpg

IMG_1047b.jpg

IMG_1049b.jpg

The big difference is that the tatula 200 takes the arbor down to the spool shaft which boosts its capacity.  A tatula 150 is more comparable to a curado 200k in spool dimensions and capacity.  The tatula 200 is slightly larger diameter at 36mm too but that doesn't really add much capacity on its own. Its the loss of the magZ and small arbor that really boosts the capacity of the 200 making the more like older daiwa 300 capacity reels like the lexa 300.

pictdaiwatatulahd-008.jpg

picshimcuradok10.jpg

pictdaiwatatula014.jpg

• Like 1