Jump to content

SE Michigan lakes.


Gera

Recommended Posts

Hello SE Michigan Anglers. 

From what I seen, there are many of us from the area in this forum that I thought it could be interesting/useful to talk about our experience on lakes on our area.

I move to the area not long ago and live in West Bloomfield, there are many lakes here but there isn't much info about them anywhere. I manly fish from a kayak (St. Clair in a boat) but I think I will cool if we share lakes, places to park at them, launches and even nice areas were bank fishing is possible.

 

There are so many lakes near home that is sad that there is no access.  I spent a good part of the season on Kent lake as its similar to the lakes I'm used to (mainly fished Texas and Mexico lakes) and know how to fish. Last season I spent time in Cass lake as its close to home, its been a great experience as fishing clear water for smallies is completely new to me. On this my third season on the area I'm ready to branch out. 

 

Let me know if anyone is interested in this conversation. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Don't be shocked if most people aren't willing to give up their spots.  Check out Pontiac Lake, there is a public launch on the east side.  I've had some good days out there last year.  The weeds choke out large parts of that lake so I bet it's better in the spring.  I've always been underwhelmed by Orchard lake, it's the closest public launch to my house.  I think there is potential there, but I haven't figured it out yet.  Seems like most people don't fish that lake.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

North Branch of the Clinton River is excellent smallie water and very kayak friendly.  Clinton River spillway in Mt. Clemens is great for largemouth and during the spring also great for walleye and musky.  When later May rolls around, hit Metro Beach (now known as Lake St Clair Metropark) and fish smallies off the point, or take part in the epic white bass run as they come up in there thick.  Muscamoot Bay off of Harsens Island is the best smallie fishing you will find in May and June, but get out there early because the tuna boats come out around midday and the fishing really slows from all of the boat traffic.  The flats of the St. Clair River by Algonac where it empties into Lake St Clair is also prime smallie water, they are thick in the reeds all spring, summer, and fall.  Lots of nice pike and musky back there too, and some of the biggest rock bass and bluegills you will see.  Another good one is Belle Isle, it is a state park so you will need a state park pass, but there is a lot of kayak friendly water around the island and very good smallie fishing.  I hope this helps!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2023 at 9:37 AM, clc48301 said:

Don't be shocked if most people aren't willing to give up their spots.  Check out Pontiac Lake, there is a public launch on the east side.  I've had some good days out there last year.  The weeds choke out large parts of that lake so I bet it's better in the spring.  I've always been underwhelmed by Orchard lake, it's the closest public launch to my house.  I think there is potential there, but I haven't figured it out yet.  Seems like most people don't fish that lake.

What I hopping to start the conversation on is more about good lakes and rivers, access is really important and I have found that there is not a lot of info on that. there hundreds of lakes that you drive by and see really fishy spots that you know there hiding in but just can find I way to to get in there! 

Thanks for your recommendations, I have Pontiac lake on top of the list this year. its good to know about the weeds!!  orchard I have not tried, is very close to my place.. I been to Cass lake a few times, Its fun to drag a finesse jig on the sand for smallies.. so far nothing that big but nice numbers. I go there because its easy to launch from dodge park.  

22 hours ago, redmeansdistortion said:

North Branch of the Clinton River is excellent smallie water and very kayak friendly.  Clinton River spillway in Mt. Clemens is great for largemouth and during the spring also great for walleye and musky.  When later May rolls around, hit Metro Beach (now known as Lake St Clair Metropark) and fish smallies off the point, or take part in the epic white bass run as they come up in there thick.  Muscamoot Bay off of Harsens Island is the best smallie fishing you will find in May and June, but get out there early because the tuna boats come out around midday and the fishing really slows from all of the boat traffic.  The flats of the St. Clair River by Algonac where it empties into Lake St Clair is also prime smallie water, they are thick in the reeds all spring, summer, and fall.  Lots of nice pike and musky back there too, and some of the biggest rock bass and bluegills you will see.  Another good one is Belle Isle, it is a state park so you will need a state park pass, but there is a lot of kayak friendly water around the island and very good smallie fishing.  I hope this helps!

 Thanks for all these tips!! I have been on the St Clair metropark, while the place is great, its really been difficult figure out as the place its so big but I'm learning. it there a place where you can launch at Muscamoot bay and launch the kayak?? or should I go in the boat?? 

 

I really appreciate your comments. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gera said:

Thanks for all these tips!! I have been on the St Clair metropark, while the place is great, its really been difficult figure out as the place its so big but I'm learning. it there a place where you can launch at Muscamoot bay and launch the kayak?? or should I go in the boat?? 

You can launch from Walker's Landing right on the bay on Harsens Island, very easy to get to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, uncle lou said:

I'm looking for a tournament partner for this weekend ...it's 2 day event on mosquitoe lake in NE OHIO...my regulars have been forced into work...anyone interested Email me and I'll get back to ya...loumannebach@gmail.com 

I live in SE MICHIGAN 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gera, get yourself a Michigan "Atlas and Gazetteer"  (DeLorme) atlas as it has boat launching icons on all lakes open to us regular folk. Oalkland co. has WAY more private lakes than public. Don't give up on Orchard .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Michigan DNR also does lake census reports on a few lakes every year, some interesting info contained in those reports.
 I hope to try Cass and Union Lakes sometime this year.  
I fish in Highland Rec., lots of smaller ponds to be found. Took the kids there when they were growing up, always caught decent bass in size and quantity and a large variety of fish in those ponds.  Moore Lake on the west side of the park seems to be interesting with lots of perch and also decent bass.  Have seen big Bowfin in Moore Lake.  It sets up better for kayaking or smaller boats as the launch area is quite shallow.    Find a map of the park and hike into some of the lakes, they all seem to have fish and nobody else fishing them.
As a kid caught very large carp in parts of the rouge river in Beverly Hills area ( near 14 mile / Evergreen Road). 
Lots of fishing to be had without a boat in the SE Michigan area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.