Jump to content

Jerkbait Weight Distribution


KCFinesse

Recommended Posts

I've gotten 110 KOs from varying sources in the past and I'm wondering what weight distribution is preferred to get the KOs to be a bit 'livelier'?

 

I would think jerkbaits that are slightly more top heavy would have a little more 'roll' when righting itself on the pause (but too top heavy would cause it to spin on the retrieve).

 

I'm not an accomplished lure painter by any means, but I'll rattle can or hand paint a few blanks a year.

 

-Jared

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Real MB Vision 110's suspend nose down at about a 45* angle. This gives a good erratic dart when jerked and then slack line.

 

#6 Short trebles and standard split rings including one on the line tie should give you close to suspending in that attitude if the blank is quality.

 

7.38# I caught a few weeks ago on a 110+1 blank from Predator I painted.

 

 

 

 

 

IMG-4125s.JPG

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Concerning blanks you can buy I find they are hit or miss. Some work great and others are not worth the time you spent painting them. I have some Vision Jr blanks from 2 different places in my garage to paint. One is decent meaning it works but it will never perform like a true MB bait. The others are so terribly weighted I just use them to practice painting.

 

If you want to get into airbrushing lures I recommend a Harbor Freight airbrush compressor ($40) and a Master airbrush from Ebay ($18).

 

Allen

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2023 at 10:37 PM, Munkin said:

Concerning blanks you can buy I find they are hit or miss. Some work great and others are not worth the time you spent painting them. I have some Vision Jr blanks from 2 different places in my garage to paint. One is decent meaning it works but it will never perform like a true MB bait. The others are so terribly weighted I just use them to practice painting.

 

If you want to get into airbrushing lures I recommend a Harbor Freight airbrush compressor ($40) and a Master airbrush from Ebay ($18).

 

Allen

I've been trying to avoid getting into air brushing just because I have a little bit of a tackle tinkering problem as it is ?

 

I hear you on the inconsistencies of blanks- the Amazon KOs were about half garbage due to the weight transfer system. Predator really seems to have a better product...

 

I've been trying to find some shadow rap blanks as well, but I just haven't seem to found quality ones.

 

-Jared

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I use the "Hank Cherry" approach with the MB 110+1 and 2's. I put a heavier hook and split ring on the back as so it is a very  slow sink tail first. Found out  the hard way that the MB ones I had didn't suspend  they floated (thank that to ffs) up. So I weight all mine now with heavier split rings or change all the hooks to mustard short  triple grips in a 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gulfcaptain said:

Found out  the hard way that the MB ones I had didn't suspend  they floated (thank that to ffs) up. So I weight all mine now with heavier split rings or change all the hooks to mustard short  triple grips in a 6

The MB Jr's are notorious for that IMO. Of the dozen or so I have all of them were floaters out of the box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, JediAmoeba said:

The MB Jr's are notorious for that IMO. Of the dozen or so I have all of them were floaters out of the box.

Yeah not what I was expecting for $25. Bought 4 and I think I still have 2 left in the package from a year ago. They say they work, I'm still waiting....lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.