Sign in to follow this  
Fishin49er

Swimbaits

Im getting a new combo for Christmas, its a 6'6" MH.  I would like to get into some swimbaiting, but being that the combo is only a MH, ill need some on the lighter side.  So what would yall reccommend as far as swimbaits that are an ounce or less and on the cheaper side, like 10 bucks or less.  I know the obvious Storm and i will definitely give those a try but would like some other options.  Any input is welcome.

I just got a new package by tsunami pro company, their holographic swim baits look truely realistic and were about 3 dollars or so, i cannot wait to try these out next spring, they are titled "glass minnow fleck 5" split tail minnow"

At 1.3 ozs, the Matt lures Baby Bass Series seems like THE option for you. Frankly the storms are good numbers baits in the smaller sizes but I think they lack ability in the big fish department. I have thrown the 6" Trout, the Baby Bass, and the Bluegill series on a 7' MH rod. Run them on 15- 20 lb test and you should be fine. You will obviously want to go with the pattern that best replicates the forage in your area. I have caught a ton of fish on the largemouth patterns, and the 6" hitch and coho patterns are awesome patterns for general baitfish ( shiner, shad, herring). His baby bass are around 10 bucksand the 6" series, although slightly heavier, is still doable and only about 13 bucks. My first swimbait fish of 6 pounds came off of his baits and many more have been caught since on them. You can't go wrong with one of those baits IMO. Lightninrod's PB came off the Baby Bass if I remember correctly, pick one (or more ;)) up and I don't think that you will regret it.

FB

FB: You young guys really have good memories ;). Yes, my PB(and dozens of others from 7 lbs down to 2lbs), a 9 lber, came on one of Matt's Baby Bass. You can get them for about $10 each here.

Dan

on the cheaper side.

If you're looking for an economical approach, select your own swim head

then thread on a Big Hammer Swimbait ("Hand Pours" made of floating plastic!)

5" = $1.32 <> 6" = $1.80 <> 7" = $1.86

Roger

The big hammer is certainly a fish catching machine, so are fish traps. http://www.saltwatertackle.com/xcart/home.php?cat=476 I'd go for the 5" trap or 6" big hammer. They get whacked, but lack realism, which is important, at least for me, in my ultra clear waters. If for no other reason than confidence, I throw painted baits. JMHO

FB

Have yall had any experience with the Megabait Charlie susending swimbait?  I saw these on one of the websites that advertise here.  They look pretty good and tackletour.com gave them a pretty good review.  For 7 bucks i thought it would be worth a shot, just wondering if yall could give me any input. Thanks.

post-6667-130162869786_thumb.jpg

Have yall had any experience with the Megabait Charlie susending swimbait? I saw these on one of the websites that advertise here. They look pretty good and tackletour.com gave them a pretty good review. For 7 bucks i thought it would be worth a shot, just wondering if yall could give me any input. Thanks.

I have one but never got bit the few times I threw it.

Dan

Actually, I had one of the 4"ers. I had 1 day that got me bites on it. I stroked about 25 pond fish in real dirty water during pre spawn. Nothin over 2.5, but I think it was just like a big crankbait. It worked that day, but hasn't since.

There are a couple of hard swimbaits that I can think of that are great on MH tackle. The Strike King- King Kong and the Triple Trout.

With the equipment you have available you need to be careful about not throwing baits that are too big. Those mattlures 6" series and the Baby bass, not to mention his "east coast baits" will definetely do what you need them to do. They're a HUGE step up from the storm and other mass produced baits. You won't be dissapointed.

With the equipment you have available you need to be careful about not throwing baits that are too big. Those mattlures 6" series and the Baby bass, not to mention his "east coast baits" will definetely do what you need them to do. They're a HUGE step up from the storm and other mass produced baits. You won't be dissapointed.

Hey there Matt. Welcome to BR ;).

This man is a trophy Bass hunter and catcher y'all and he lives where they are 8-).

Dan

Hey Dan! Thanks for the welcome, good to see ya! I don't know about all that big fish stuff... I just get lucky a lot.  ;)