Sign in to follow this  
vicdotcom

Oil or grease on the worm shaft?

Hey everyone,

Ive been trying to play with some of my old reels and trying to oil and grease them up.  I have a question about the worm shaft on a baitcaster though.  Do I put oil on it or grease?  Im looking at the one I have now and it looks like there is some grease on it.  But I can't tell if it is just fishing residue mixed with oil or actuall grease.  I know that the gears get grease and the bearings get a drop of oil.  But I wasnt sure what the worm shaft qualified as.

Thanks for any help all!

Vicdotcom

Light coating of reel grease for the worm shaft.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree here.   ;)

No grease on any movable parts on the exterior of the reel. Reason, grease is a sticky substance and the worm gear and pawl need a clean smooth surface to run on. Gear grease will allow all of the contaminating elements in the air, from road dirt, to really fine dust, to accumulate in the groves of the worm gear which will intern cause the pawl to wear and stop working properly..

So grease on main and pinion gears, 1 drop oil on all bearings and bearing shims, oil (only) on the worm gear and pawl assembly, handle paddles, drag star threads, cast control cap threads, etc.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!  

No grease on the worm gear, heavy oil. Penn 's reel lube is what I 've been using for my reels 'worm gear for a couple of decades, no detectable wear.

I've always used the Abu Garcia reel lube. Never had a problem.

Falcon

U dont want anything that can stick to dust ,sand etc on ur worm gear.you wont belive how much stuff comes off from casting and reeling that goes onto your worm shaft each time u cast.i use rem oil on mine and wipe any access away On a diff note if you but rocket fuel just on your pawl which is inclosed will it make a diff???? A certian color  is supposed to stay where u put it im not familair with which one. red or yellow???

On a diff note if you but rocket fuel just on your pawl which is inclosed will it make a diff???? A certian color is supposed to stay where u put it im not familair with which one. red or yellow???

I don't completely undertand your question....Rocket Fuel oil is very thin and designed for high rated ball bearings, really has not advantage anywhere else, for fresh water baitcaster you want the Yellow, as ultra thin oil it doesn't last much, so you have to re-oil frecuently, I have to do mine at least 3 times a month.

Rem oil is very good for guns but much thicker than reel oils.

Like the other guys do....no grease on expoused parts but there are people that perfer it, i tried and didn't like the mess. I use Shimano ( reelmechanic ) oil for every thing that need oil but spool support bearing.

Good luck

the_Conceited_ReDnEcK,

What about high speed oil on spool bearings
IMPO High Speed oil on High Speed (ABEC5 and up) bearings. On any other style bearing, it's a waste of money and time. High Speed oils have a real lite viscosity (almost like water) and on standard ABEC3's its to lite and doesn't afford enough protection and lubrication.

Just my .02¢

Tight Lines!!!!  

Hey everyone!  thanks for all the info.  I really appreciate it.  I just snapped my line guide pawl though hahaha  What are these things made of? glass? procelin?  

Vic

vicdotcom,

What is the manufacturer and model number of the reel? Got a schematic?

Hey Reelmechanic ;)

It's a quantum energy E750PT.  The part was number 27b on the schematic.  I went to my local rod and reel (who I always try to support) and I purchased a replacement pawl.  Unfortunately it was to big.  It was also steel or aluminum and not ceramic.  I am going back on Tuesday to try to get one that fits. But am also thinking about just going to Quantum's site to reorder a new ceramic one.  But if I do that then I have to purchase the whole worm shaft kit.  Not sure if it is worth the 15$ just for a ceramic pawl. I get get 3 pawls for that price at the R&R.  

Vic

vicdotcom

It was also steel or aluminum and not ceramic.  I am going back on Tuesday to try to get one that fits. But am also thinking about just going to Quantum's site to reorder a new ceramic one.  But if I do that then I have to purchase the whole worm shaft kit.  Not sure if it is worth the 15$ just for a ceramic pawl. I get get 3 pawls for that price at the R&R.
It would be better if you replace the pawl with the proper one.  The three that you get at the other price probably won't fit properly.  I don't have any pawls for the 750PT in my bins, so I would have to order the HV4072-02 Worm Shaft Kit also.

Hey Reelmech!

Thanks for the good advice.  I ordered the new wormshaft kit for the e750PT. I much appreciate you looking also!

Vic

Vic,

No problem... ;)

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!