Sign in to follow this  
skunked_again

Revo fans with short pockets

The Revo Premier IS available now at Cabelas (on backorder).  I don't think the others will be available until 2008.  

I don't understand why the Premier is more expensive than the STX.  Sure, it's lighter (and lacks some of the asthetic amenities of the STX), but why pay $60 more for that?  I'm sure it's a fine reel, I just don't understand the economic part (or the real differences between the STX and Premier).  

The MAX series looks really neat.  I hope they are as good as the current line.  

What I'd like to see next is a BIGGER Revo with more line capacity.  While I love my 4 Revos, there is a need for higher capacity reels.  

The Revo Premier IS available now at Cabelas (on backorder). I don't think the others will be available until 2008.

I don't understand why the Premier is more expensive than the STX. Sure, it's lighter (and lacks some of the asthetic amenities of the STX), but why pay $60 more for that? I'm sure it's a fine reel, I just don't understand the economic part (or the real differences between the STX and Premier).

The MAX series looks really neat. I hope they are as good as the current line.

What I'd like to see next is a BIGGER Revo with more line capacity. While I love my 4 Revos, there is a need for higher capacity reels.

Why would you need more than 12/140?  I think the new ones are even more line capacity.  I have never fished more than 40 yards at most of line out or had a largemouth run that far, with that big of a drag.

I'm definitely on the "low profile" bandwagon now.  It's good to see more options from Garcia.  I need to find out what else is or will be available in low profile reels from Shimano, Daiwa, Pinnacle, Pflueger etc....  I've found that lightweight rods and low profile reels extend my fishing day at least 2 hours.

The Revo Premier IS available now at Cabelas (on backorder). I don't think the others will be available until 2008.

I don't understand why the Premier is more expensive than the STX. Sure, it's lighter (and lacks some of the asthetic amenities of the STX), but why pay $60 more for that? I'm sure it's a fine reel, I just don't understand the economic part (or the real differences between the STX and Premier).

The MAX series looks really neat. I hope they are as good as the current line.

What I'd like to see next is a BIGGER Revo with more line capacity. While I love my 4 Revos, there is a need for higher capacity reels.

i also was wonderin if the price was a typo or something then seen the listing for the unit. odd. i was planning on trying to get a good deal on a sol over at ebay but now i think im going to hold off. the pro max looks like its just the thing to replace the old 5000D.

Though the STX did very well in most categories it did come in a weight of 8.75 ounces. This is where the new 2008 Revo Premier comes in. This new reel is only 6.35 ounces but has all the performance of the STX.

First, 8.75 ounces is less than a Curado and on par or lighter than just about any other reel in that price point.

Second, the STX has 11 bearings, the Premier only has 6. How does that equal the performance of the STX?

BTW, I'm still pretty disappointed that Garcia hasn't introduced a lower gear ratio reel in at least one of these lines.

I believe it's $249.95.

Tackle Tour said $259.

So they made it a little lighter by removing the ball bearings from the handle and using more aluminum. Can somebody explain to me why the  $50 increase in price.

I believe it's $249.95.

Tackle Tour said $259.

So they made it a little lighter by removing the ball bearings from the handle and using more aluminum. Can somebody explain to me why the $50 increase in price.

Because someone will pay it.

Because someone will pay it.

Yes!  One of the main reasons I bought 50MG's was weight.  When you pair a 6 ounce reel with a light weight, well balanced custom rod... it feels magical.  

IMO, lots of the reels today have too many bearings....  double stacking bearing does nothing extra and beyond about 5, there isn't any other place you can feel them.  I don't notice a "rough" feeling when handle paddles don't have bearings in them... sure the bearing handles may be a tiny bit smoother but for me, a smooth light reel beats an extra smooth, heavier reel every time.  

I haven't seen the specifics on the Premier yet so I can't compare it to the features of the STX but I think if it's a light version of the STX, it will be worth the money to a lot of people.

YMMV

Got to try out my Revo SC this last weekend and I think it's a awesome reel.  Likely be replacing all my older Shimano Curado's and Team Daiwa with these over the winter.  It's one of the smoothest casting reels I've ever had.

Does anyone know if the frames on the new Pro Max are aluminum or are they graphite??  If they are aluminum frame then I would have to consider them a heckuva deal.