Sign in to follow this  
mluman83

1 All-Around or More...

Well I have a Rick Clunn Sig Series Baitcaster 6:3:1 Gear ratio and a 6" Medium Action rod. This combo hase been great!

Spinnerbaits, Crankbaits, Top waters, Worms, EVERYTHING! :) The only reason I can see to have 3 or 4 different rods and reels is

to bring them all with you and put a topwater on one, worm on one, spinnerbait on one, and a crankbait on one. That way if you see

something happening like a schooling on shad, grab the spinner or crankbait. If you see a monster nail a lillypad, grab the torpedo.

Basically when it could be critical, you have no time to switch lures. But if you have a rod and reel ready with each...then you are

golden. Basically my question is is that i see so many different rods with different actions and reels with different gear ratios. They

all say they are good for this or that. Do these things really make that big of a difference? Or is it just user preference. I catch em

like someone droped a barge full of crack in the lake. No matter what I'm using :). What do you guys think. Lure switch is the main

reason for having more than one rod and reel or the different gears and rod lengths and actions really make a big difference? :-?

It makes a HUGE difference. Fish within the guidelines of the rods. It will improve your fishing a ton.

Roadwarrior has written a great article about rods. Should check it out.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1141187546

I don't mean any of this as an insult. So please don't take it that way.

This way of thinking is typical of someone as young as you are in the sport of bassfishing. This is great. I was the same way when I was a teen and I am sure that many of us were. This way of thinking saved me a bunch of money early on. You can catch alot of fish with just one rod and reel set-up, especially in small ponds with little to no pressure. But you will probably only catch +/- 85% of the bass that accually bite your lures. But when you are fishing large, high pressured lakes presentation and exicution is everything in order to catch 100% of the fish that bite. To get the most out of the presentation and action of the lures you are useing you need to have the right setup. This means the right rod, reel speed, casting distance/ accuracy, line size/type. I can't fish a dropshot on a MH Rod and I can't fish a C-Rig on a dropshot rod and expect to catch 100% of the fish that bite.

I'd like to see somebody set a hook on a jig using a 6'0 medium action rod....that would be fun as well as funny.

6'6 MH w/fast tip is as low as i'll go for jigs.

I'd like to see somebody set a hook on a jig using a 6'0 medium action rod....that would be fun as well as funny.

6'6 MH w/fast tip is as low as i'll go for jigs.

Unless the jig has a light wire hook.

I say this because I keep hearing a nasty rumor that many of the pros that are fishing jigs have gone to light wire hooks and Med action rods. They do this when they are not fishing heavy cover though. They have found that they loose fewer fish during the fight.

I think what's confusing is that many companies are placing specific names on rods like Senko Special, Top Water, Spinner Bait Special, or what ever. This teaches young anglers to never take the time to learn what a Medium, Medium Heavy, ect rod is and why it is classified as such. I never pay attention to the names but look instead at line rating and lure weight class. I have rods classified as Inshore Saltwater or Coastal, they work just fine in freshwater. Just the opposite many Speckle Trout and Red Fish anglers are learning that these fish can be caught with bass Rods/Reels and with bass lures.

I catch em

like someone droped a barge full of crack in the lake. No matter what I'm using :).

If I caught fish like that, I wouldnt worry for one second what rod or reel I was using......doesnt really sound like you need any other rods.

No doubt, you can catch all the fish in the world on just about any rod and reel combination.

But if you want fishing to be easier, more fun and be able to CONSISTANTLY hook-up and land better fish, "equipment" will help.

I agree it would be nice to have a set-up dedicated to each type fishing you do and retieing gets to be a pain sometimes. I try to use what I have to the fullest extent and have to stay within a budget for my fishing gear. So, I don't have a set-up for each type of bait in my tackle box (and don't have a tackle box as large as a lot of you that have posted so far). I still have an awful lot of fun Bass fishing :)...

As Ever,

skillet

BTW gremlin, I don't know how funny catching a lot of Bass on a 6'M Bionic Blade and a Citica 200D is (have done it on a 5'6" Fiberglass and 5'6" Graphite for a large number of years) but it is a lot of fun. Drop by sometime and I'll provide you with a lot of laughs ;D ;D ;D

Currently I have 4 rods on my boat. Becuase of the water that I fish I have put these combo's together for technique specific fishing.

I use a Shimano M-L, 7ft spinning combo. For smaller, lighter crankbaits cast over long distance.

I have a MH baitcasting oufit for carolina or texas rigs.

I have a MH baitcasting oufit for spinnerbaits. This rig will switch to a wacky rigged senko if conditions warrant.

I have a medium action spinning combo for poppers or drop shots.

I have all 4 of these pre rigged for my trip based on where I plan to fish. I have found that picking the sight and planning the trip allows me to have what I need ready. I rarely have to switch any baits during my trip.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't mean any of this as an insult. So please don't take it that way.

This way of thinking is typical of someone as young as you are in the sport of bassfishing. This is great. I was the same way when I was a teen and I am sure that many of us were. This way of thinking saved me a bunch of money early on. You can catch alot of fish with just one rod and reel set-up, especially in small ponds with little to no pressure. But you will probably only catch +/- 85% of the bass that accually bite your lures. But when you are fishing large, high pressured lakes presentation and exicution is everything in order to catch 100% of the fish that bite. To get the most out of the presentation and action of the lures you are useing you need to have the right setup. This means the right rod, reel speed, casting distance/ accuracy, line size/type. I can't fish a dropshot on a MH Rod and I can't fish a C-Rig on a dropshot rod and expect to catch 100% of the fish that bite.

No Insult taken. But I am not a teen. I am 24. And I have been bass fishing For I would say 18 years. Just recentley ran into enough money to start making boat trips and buying mucho gear. The only times I have a probs was with top waters. They hit it and I wait for em to take it under and they miss. Otherwise I have had no hook-up issues. Maybe I fish each combo I get so much that I learn what speed to retreive at and what action I take on my rod for each bait I use. I have had many many many diferent reels and rods but what always works best for me is a rick clunn and a 6" medium to mh action. I cant seem to get the lure to do what I want with a longer rod or shorter. But i will say...Using a mh 6'5 rod while fishing a soft plastic shad or jerk worm...It does put a little less effort on my part to get the lure to really present well.

OK. I see your point. (And 24 is still young for many of us) lol  

I wan't you to do a favor for me. I wan't you to take your six foot Med rod and go get a couple of 1/2oz jigs and go fishing with them for one day. The come and tell us how it went.

Then take you 6'6" MH rod and go fishing with a Rapala Shad Rap #5 and come back and tell us how it went.

:) I understand ya. I think what I may do is buy a few chepo's of different lenghts and get some geared Rick Clunn's. Just to give it a go. I ussually dont fish jigs. I usually do spinners, crankbaites, worms, and top. Lots and lots of top waters lol

Whoa!

You would be miles ahead buying one quality rod. Start with a St. Croix AVID AC68MXF. This will cover everything for awhile. These rods can be found on sale right now for $65-$109.

This is the rod, but Reeds Sports doesn't have much of a sale going on:

http://www.reedssports.com/Product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=667

Try Dick's, Sportsman's Warehouse and your local BPS.

i have 5 rod/reel combos....but for about the last month and a half i havent used any except for my 6' MH...i fish jigs, topwater, cranks, t-rigs and anything else i have with it...i have caught fish on all the different baits mentioned....the main reason for this is that i fish from the bank and got tired of carting around several rods...and actually i have enjoyed this much more....i like the simplicity of it and am in the process of getting a custom rod in the same length and action because i have enjoyed it so much, and i have been catching better quality fish(not that that is due to the rod)....so i plan to sell my other reels and just make my new custom rod my "do it all" rod...but this is just my preference and if i had a boat i would probebly keep using all ym combos

Cliff

I have heard folks who play golf (I don't as my fishing takes up all my spare time - I will think about chasing white balls when I am too old to chase anything else) that you could play the game with just a putter.  But things would go much better, not to mention more fun to have a full bag of clubs.  Same thing applies to fishing.  The only circumstance where one rod would trump several or more rods would be for someone to buy one good rod/reel than to try to buy numerous lesser rods/reels.

Whoa!

You would be miles ahead buying one quality rod. Start with a St. Croix AVID AC68MXF. This will cover everything for awhile. These rods can be found on sale right now for $65-$109.

This is the rod, but Reeds Sports doesn't have much of a sale going on:

http://www.reedssports.com/Product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=667

Try Dick's, Sportsman's Warehouse and your local BPS.

I agree. Just picked up this rod and love it. Fishing plastics on the spinning version has been awesome. Going to try out the drop shot on this rod on Saturday. It will be interesting to see how my spinnerbaits work on it however. If not than I will go back to my other rod for that. But for plastics.....I'm having a great time right now.

The more the merrier for me.  6-8 in the boat at all times and 2-4 on deck on any given day or moment.  Just kind of depends on what is going on or what I feel like doing.