Sign in to follow this  
David P

Daiwa Light and Tough rods

Anyone have one of these?

I was thinking about getting one for finesse fishing. Drop shot and maybe some split shott'n. The spinning rod looks nice although only 6ft 4in.

How sensitive are they compared to other rods in their class?

I haven't bought one in a few years but the old L & T rods used to be an incredible value and fished like a rod 2-3 times it's price.  

I haven't bought one in a few years but the old L & T rods used to be an incredible value and fished like a rod 2-3 times it's price.  

I was going to get a Powell or Dobyns drop shot rod, but saw these rods. they're $50 cheaper, but if they're as good as the old ones, seems like a good deal..

2.  Or maybe 2.5.  But not 3.  If it fished like a rod 3 times its price, it would fish like a Loomis GLX.  And we know that couldn't possibly be the case.   :o

2.  Or maybe 2.5.  But not 3.  If it fished like a rod 3 times its price, it would fish like a Loomis GLX.  And we know that couldn't possibly be the case.   :o

So you would compare this rod to a Loomis IMX rod?

It's either this rod, the Lamiglas Drop shot rod, the Dobyns 701 or 703 , or a Powell Drop Shot rod.

Can't make up my dang mind!!

2. Or maybe 2.5. But not 3. If it fished like a rod 3 times its price, it would fish like a Loomis GLX. And we know that couldn't possibly be the case. :o

So you would compare this rod to a Loomis IMX rod?

It's either this rod, the Lamiglas Drop shot rod, the Dobyns 701 or 703 , or a Powell Drop Shot rod.

Can't make up my dang mind!!

I'm only joshin'.  I can't compare it to anything, I've never used one.  

But I understand your problem.  It's like, will it be a hot blonde tonight?  Or a hot brunette?  Or a hot redhead?   No matter what you choose, it's gonna be fun.

These rods have been around a long time.  They are good rods...lighter than any IM6 rod made at this time that I know of, but IM6 can only be so sensitive, no matter how it is rolled.  I'd go with something higher modulous/strain...Croix Avids can be found right now for $100-$120 depending on model (due to coming revamp), and I think the majority on here would rather fish an Avid versus a Light and Tough.

These rods have been around a long time.  They are good rods...lighter than any IM6 rod made at this time that I know of, but IM6 can only be so sensitive, no matter how it is rolled.  I'd go with something higher modulous/strain...Croix Avids can be found right now for $100-$120 depending on model (due to coming revamp), and I think the majority on here would rather fish an Avid versus a Light and Tough.

I have 0 sporting good stores that carry St Croix. Therefore, I can't get that deal, unless they might have some online..?

I'm leaning towards the Powell Drop shot or Dobyns rod though. But these rods do look nice.

just an idea to confuse your situation even more. Today I picked up an avid 6'9 ml/xf that is a dropshot specific rod. Ironically, I looked at the L&T rod you mentioned and, I didn't think they were even dollar for dollar and wasn't at all impressed with how short it was. I did like the L&T pitching model though.

Also, cabelas will price match any major competitors point for anything they carry. I think they have that avid on the site. You'd just have to talk to someone directly when you order so they can adjust the price. I just posted a beef about their customer service people about 15 minutes ago and now I'm pitching for them.........

I have two L&T casting rods, a 6'3" and a 7', both medium power. I consider them the best bang for the buck out there. I have rods from Setyr, Airrus, St Croix and BPS that all cost more, that I don't like as well, or use as often, as those two L&T's.

Cheers,

GK