Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

Rod action and casting

I am wondering if a rod's action, fast, moderate, slow, will affect the distance of a cast. I would venture to say it must affect the accuracy, lessening as you venture away from a fast action, but does anyone know if distance is different, and if so, who much? I am thinking about sticking with my lower end crankbait rods, glass, Cabela's brand name, because they have the right action and lure rating I am looking for.

I do get pretty decent casting distance now with my 6'6" ML mod/slow glass with a 1/4 oz. wind resistant lure. It seems lures like Shad Raps with big lips cause a lot of resistance and cause the lure to flip turn. Maybe this is just because I use spinning tackle oppose to casting. I heard since the line comes off the reel in a circular motion, lures tend to follow suit. But I can chuck casting spoons, topwaters, and jerkbaits, so I'm guessing the bigger the lip on the crank, the more resistance and less distance you are going to get.

from what I got from reading the sticky at the top of this section., you get less distance from a fast action because you get a little shake at the end of the cast creating friction on the line.

I wouldn't buy or eliminate a rod based on those concerns. The faster the action is, the more tip speed must be created by the caster, since the working section of the rod is smaller... here is the equalizer though... a slow action rod can only be thrust so hard by the caster before it's overloaded and casting is affected in a negative way. So it will vary by fisherman but my own casting distances are greater with a fast action.

Bottom line, an experienced caster can make similar distances with either action in bass weight rods (of equal power) with average lures.

yeah I just read that from Road. But slow action rods seem weaker than fast action rods. So I would firgure a stronger rod could cast further...is the backwards logic? Whatever... I've gotten good casts from my fast action lighting rod and my slower action glass crankrod

Length is the biggest factor in casting distance when the rod is the only factor in the equation. The longer the rod, the faster the tip speed when the arm and/or wrist speed remains constant. There are many other factors like wind/weather, guides, line, reel, action, power, lure size-weight-shape, ect... but the largest factor remains the length.

Length is the biggest factor in casting distance when the rod is the only factor in the equation. The longer the rod, the faster the tip speed when the arm and/or wrist speed remains constant. There are many other factors like wind/weather, guides, line, reel, action, power, lure size-weight-shape, ect... but the largest factor remains the length.

The "ACTION" also impacts casting distance. To the extent that a rod is "fully loaded" the leverage is significantly increased.

I think for lightweight cranks and topwaters a more moderate action will load better and help you cast the light weights. I am saying the same thing as RW, just relating it to lighter baits. I use a glass rod for crankin. But for heavier baits, I like a long, fast action rod for distance.

Ronnie

The "ACTION" also impacts casting distance. To the extent that a rod is "fully loaded" the leverage is significantly increased.

Yes, an exfast's tip will accelerate a lure to speed faster than a fast's tip, and a fast's tip will accelerate a lure to speed faster than a moderate action's tip, but if the length of the rod is the same, the speed at the end of the cast will be the same, if the casters wrist/arm is a contant.