Sign in to follow this  
SVWillow

How's this Rod/Reel Combination?

Its been a long time, used to fish trout (UL and Fly) every day, but then for years couldn't find the time. Now I got the time, but no equipment. Boy has the technology changed!

We have a small lake behind our house that is filled with bass. Average size 2 4 lbs, a few larger. Also will drown an occasional shrimp around the docks, etc. on the ICW in southwest Florida. Considering a St. Croix Premier PS 6'0 one piece Ultra Light - Fast and a Shimano Symetre 1500 with 4lb test. and maybe 6lb for the Intracoastal Waterway. Will the rod and reel match up? Should I use braid or what line do you recommend?

Thanks for any help or direction.

You might want to go up to a light pole to give you some options for different lure weights when fishing the intracoastal.  

Cortland Camo 4-6lb Mono has always worked well for me, I tried a lot of other brands then gave up this week and ordered three service spools from Cortland - low memory and the camo works well in a lot of situations.

Totally wrong rod, ML minimum.

Specifically I would recommend an Avid AS66MLF.

Take Roadwarriors advice and go heavier power.  I have the very rod you are asking about and I've used it maybe 3 times in 15 years because it is just too light for anything but small panfish.  I would hate to get into big "gills" or crappies with it.  I have a Premier PS56M that I use as a "ultralight" now and really like it.