Sign in to follow this  
Branuss04

Flourocarbon Question?

Well I bought some Yo-Zuri Hybrid (6#) to put on a spinning outfit.  And the first trip out with it was a trout fishing trip.  Now i've used flouro a lot before (Never Yo-Zuri) and have never had any problems with line twist, backlash, etc.  But I have always used it in warmer waters, 60 and above.  Well me and my dad were fishing in the high mountains up around 7000 feet and the water temp was in the mid to low 50's.  All weekend we were have line trouble.  We had major line twist, 3 peices of line coming off the spool at once, and some backlash that I would expect from a baitcaster.  Now I am trying to figure the source of the problem. I slightly remember reading something about different types of line's in colder water and how one type was not recommended for cold water, is it flouro that doesn't do well.  Or could it have been a bad spool.  Anywho, it didn't really ruin the trip, between the two in a day and a half fishing we caught well over 50 fish.  Lots of pretty brookies in spawn.  Anyone have similar problems?  

Yo Zuri Hybrid isn't a fluorocarbon line to my knowledge.

Also, Yo Zuri Hybrid is much worse when it comes to tangles, memory, and all the stuff you explained. Yo Zuri Ultra Soft is a bit better, well actually much better, but still I've had some problems with it too.

Always better to have the line spooled on the proper way too, less line twist.

Four possibilities:

1. Bad spool: Highly unlikely.

2. Spooled incorrectly, counter-wound or just backwards.

3. Too heavy for the spinning reel. #8 is as thick as I would fish, #6 or #4 is MUCH more user-friendly.

4. Overspooled. Spinning reels should have at least 1/8th margin to the lip of the spool.

Yo-Zuri Hybrid and Hybrid Ultra Soft are bonded fluorocarbon/ nylon copolymer lines. They are not affected by cold temperatures. I have no problems with twists, tangles or memory. In fact, the line has virtually no memory in use.

It was professionally spooled on, so I can't blame that.

There is no such thing. Some retail associates are better than others, but they are not professional "line spoolers".

It was professionally spooled on, so I can't blame that.

There is no such thing. Some retail associates are better than others, but they are not professional "line spoolers".

Ain't that the truth. Sometimes when I'm in a store and they are spooling up line, I get visions of melted mono wrapped around the spool. It sounds like a jet taking off when they fire up the machine. I got one of those $25 Berkley spoolers. It's not the best item on the market, but if you take your time and set it up correct, it will do just as good, if not a better job, than anything else.

When it comes to putting on line..i do it myself as well...that berkley spooler does just fine.

I will never let somebody else put line on for me.Very picky about it.

I think even the regular Yozuri is pretty limp and has low memory compared to most lines.  Line twisting has absolutely nothing to do with the line, but the mechanism you are using to cast it (i.e. your spinning reel  ;)).  

I think even the regular Yozuri is pretty limp and has low memory compared to most lines.  Line twisting has absolutely nothing to do with the line, but the mechanism you are using to cast it (i.e. your spinning reel  ;)).  

Definitely not the two batches I've purchased. #8 and #6 both had a decent amount of memory.  

Suffix Elite is now on my spinning reels.

RW is use YGK YOZ-AMI Nitlon Spinning line up to 16lbs. test on my 2500 spinnig reels and never had problems.

One of the best lines I've ever used is the Shimano Technium fishing line. The line is black which I like but most other people don't (except carpfisherman).

The line is black which I like but most other people don't (except carpfisherman).

Many years ago I used black Berkley nylon braided line on my baitcaster. Caught many fish with that set up. I happen to still have the remaining spool. I guess I figured I might use it for something some day.

I tried Yo-Zuri Hybrid a couple years ago In #8 on a Daiwa spinning reel (2500 size), and I didn't like it at all. I prefere P-Line  or Tectan Premium(when it's not to cold). Close to freezing temperatures I'll use Trilene XL.