Sign in to follow this  
Gr8wall

secret santa gift

hey guys.  well i am in a secret santa with all my friends, and the friend i drew up so happens to be one of my best friends and somewhat hardcore bass fisherman (actually turned me to bass fishing). so......i am planning to get him a rod and reel combo.  now the reel is a 6.4-1 and has the standard gear and some extra options.  my rod choices are 6.5' m,mh, and h.  now there is not going to be a certain technique this outfit will be fitted for, so i guess my question is, which reel and rod(m,mh,h) should i get for him?  i figure a m rod would be a better all around rod but he already has alot of worm rods so im thinking maybe mh so that could accomodate some jigs, frogs, and maybe spinner baits with some heavier crankbaits.  what is your opinions.  thanks guys.

If he already has everything, buy a VERY technique specific rod:

7' MH or Heavy Power/ Moderate or Slow Action for big,

treble hook lures (especially deep cranking).

thanks road warrior.  kinda giving it more thought, i think i might get him a jig rod (cause i think that can also somewhat double up as a frog rod) cause buying new baits should be cheaper.  anyone else?

well you never said what you wanted to spend ??? so its hard to get an ideal of what you want .... id say the avid 7ft med-hev fast or the 7ft heavy fast depending on frog duties ..... the med-hev should be ok for frogging it is a stout rod ... the med hev i use for jigs i love it when jig fishing ... the heavy will more than likly be better for fishing froggs ,, however it may not be as good for jigs ..... id get the med-hev but thats me ... now i have a custom jig stick that is made on a premier blank this rod is rated as med-hev but seems more like a heavy to me ... so maybe a premier 7ft med hev may be a better choice for a double duty jig/frog rod .... you can find st croix rods on sale at reedssports on the net .... i will tell you the avid is a liter rod and also comes with a lifetime warrenty ....  hope this helps